Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Roundworms... again.

Akila

Site Supporter
Ninja may I ask what the reaction to the Revolution was? Akila is do for her next dose of Revolution soon, and my Egyptian Mau is going to the vet today for a check up at which point I am sure the vet will want to give her Revolution. I know that Akila has been shaking her head more than normal lately despite her ears being very clean.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
They both were lethargic for a few days, and very itchy for weeks despite having no fleas, there was a lot of head shaking, too, now that I think about it. What concerned me most was Ninja losing all of his fur where I applied it, his poor skin was reddish and irritated.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Fenbendazole is a great medication, not only does it kill worms but it also treats giardia and is so much easier to administer than other treatments!

Akila

Site Supporter
Does anyone know how long Revolution stays in their system? Akila has been shaking her head ( what I consider to be too much) despite her ears being clean. The vet just says to watch her for any discharge. Could she be shaking her head from the Revolution? I'm sure if I asked the vet she would say no.

I have not given it to my Mau although I do have it. UGH!!!!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
The half life of selamectin (Revolution) is eight days in cats, how long ago did you give it? I would be more inclined to believe the head shaking is because of debris in the ear from now dead mites.

Akila

Site Supporter
I gave it to her on August 9th. I check her ears daily and clean them when needed, but her ears have been pretty clean. I am on the fence about giving it to her again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
If she's still shaking her head a lot then maybe take her in for a check up, as we can't see all the way into their ears without that handy light tool they use...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yes, it might be worth the trouble to have the vet check her ears with an otoscope, there might be something else down there that's getting missed...

Sean

Site Supporter
One would think with the larger ears that stand up like radar towers that you would see more stuff in the ears.
But maybe being large like they are that helps to keep air flow and also makes them easier to clean.

Having the vet take a look is a good idea IMHO. Night need some house keeping done in there from when the
ear boogies got evicted out. I know when I was treating Xander with the stuff you squirt in an then rub I was
cleaning the outer portion of his ear every day with some tissue before the meds.