Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Saida

Nyx

Savannah Kitten
20200320_113557.jpg

My 8 1/2 month old F3 at about 7 months old deciding that the best vantage point to watch me play the Buffy board game was on the board itself.

Saida is a happy kitten in general, though we did go through a rough patch where she was constantly in heat, max 3 days peace between 10 days of swearing she was made of urine to mark with hidden by pretty fur.

When we got her she was really sick. Weepy eyes and respiratory issues that were extremely difficult to clear up.

Thankfully my vet is amazing and she's better now. And just spayed on Monday so there is peace once again. Even if she's stuck wearing a sleeve to keep her from her incision site.

Many of the posts I read here were extremely helpful in knowing what to ask the vet and kept me from panicking.

Thank you.

Nyx

Savannah Kitten
I think we are. And I can't wait till she's all healed up and we can play without restrictions again. She's super energetic and LOVES to play fetch. She also loves teaser toys, and I feel bad, because she keeps bringing me toys but I have to keep the playing much calmer than usual.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, it's harder when you don't want them leaping about... I've always found that there is a limit to how quiet you can keep them though. My vet always laughs when he starts saying "now you need to keep him/her quiet..." when he's forgotten what cat breed he's talking about. Good luck!

Nyx

Savannah Kitten
Yes, it's harder when you don't want them leaping about... I've always found that there is a limit to how quiet you can keep them though. My vet always laughs when he starts saying "now you need to keep him/her quiet..." when he's forgotten what cat breed he's talking about. Good luck!
My vet's office adores her. They're always commenting on how sweet and well behaved she is for her breed. She's social and doesn't generally give too much fuss over things like getting her temperature taken or even getting a shot. She's not thrilled about it, but she seems to understand that it's all very temporary and it's best to just get it over with.

From day one, she's had every reason to trust me. I don't keep hold of her more than it takes to do what's necessary and make happy noises when I get to let her go afterward. I praise her when she makes new leaps that might be difficult for even a cat, and simply and quietly move her from places I don't want her to be. She rarely plays with my electric cords for example because I've made her aware at how much more fun her own cord-like toys are. I don't yell at her or spray her with anything. Simply give her a better option. Worse comes to worse to keep her from places she shouldn't be, I act like I'm saving her life, in very overdramatic style. So far that all seems to have worked wonders. Except for the heat marking that threatened even my patience to snap. Lol

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have four Savannahs in my home (and a Peterbald) and over the years many more, only a few have ever chewed cords. I have one that is fixated on charger cords but the others are supremely disinterested... just trying to point out that we can attempt to "teach" or "train" but there's also what they are drawn to and you may not be always able to persuade them to leave something alone. I'm glad that you don't yell or spray as negative reinforcements aren't the preferable option :)

Nyx

Savannah Kitten
When she first came home, she was all about any cord she could find. Three days of redirecting her to more fun "cords" and I only need to worry when a new cord is introduced to the house. Usually that simply means gets another teaser toy (or catting rod, as my kiddo calls them).

Basically she's as entirely equal member of the household as she could possibly be. Her meals are given when me and my kiddo eat. She gets a treat when watch movies, just like the bipeds do. And if I get a 'toy' like a new cell phone or a board game, so does she.

When I sew I make her a little something from the scraps if she doesn't interfere... Her favorites are frankenballs that are not pretty in the slightest but are made of fabric and her favorite things ever: ribbon.

This did not happen overnight, we got hey in January and she's only just this month gotten that if she waits till I'm done without trying to attack my supplies, me, or the sewing machine, she gets a new toy. So she'll sit and watch me sew, leaving occasionally for water, the litter box, or to munch on a little leftover kibble, but she'll just watch.

Board games though?
20200320_113630.jpg

I live with a few holes in the pieces if I don't stop and play with her too

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Saida sounds like a great kitty and a wonderful companion. I'm very glad she finally stayed out of heat long enough to be spayed, I'm sure that's a relief to her as well as you!

Nyx

Savannah Kitten
It was more the pandempic that got in the way of getting her spayed. But when they realized now much stress it was putting on her... She was losing her fur! And we couldn't find any other cause... They agreed to an exception and with there being very few surgeries on the schedule it would've made any last minute changes to when she could have the surgery easier. But thankfully we didn't need to postpone again.

And she is a wonderful companion. And I'm her person. She's always very close and gets very upset when I have to go anywhere. So it's a good thing I had to take early retirement.