Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah cat coat changes?

gahnja77

Savannah Super Cat
Soooo....ive got a ?? what are the "if any" different stages of a savannah's coat as they get older? will they slick off? change in color? gain contrast? im sure this has already been asked but until i learn to search for specific threads ill just re ask haha

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well a Savannah, just like any other kitten, will go through the 'fuzzies' for the first few months (some take as long as seven months to clear) and once that is over their coats are clearer (but some are more ticked than others so have less contrast). I have found that most cats keep their same color and texture after the fuzzies, but some will change after they are about a year old after they've blown their baby coat. I've not personally noticed any changes beyond that.

Medesha

Savannah Super Cat
When I first got Riyl, she had a super coarse coat. It's gotten a lot more soft now, but she's not as sleek as Vakai or Erra (my Toyger, who's supposed to have a super-plush coat). As I understand it, a coarse coat is closer to the SV standard.

Riyl's coat keeps getting more and more clear- and I expect it to clear more once she gets bigger. My other SV Vakai, he's gotten a lot lighter in places, but I think he's got a bit more Bengal in him, because he feels really smooth.

gahnja77

Savannah Super Cat
awesome thanks for the knowledge! i have no idea what gahnja is as far as his classification goes...im not even sure how id label his color and mark patterns lol i love him regardless tho! i just didnt know if what his breeder told me was true that his spot would come in darker as he slicked off...i got him from a-1 savannahs

admin

Paige
Staff member
What Martin told you is probably true. My Zuri is from A1 Savannahs and everything he told me about her was spot on...I am assuming your kitten is an F4 SBT...

gahnja77

Savannah Super Cat
What Martin told you is probably true. My Zuri is from A1 Savannahs and everything he told me about her was spot on...I am assuming your kitten is an F4 SBT...

haha well thats awesome, he told me G would end up lookin really exotic and his spots would blacken up, he actually chose him for us because he said he was THE kitty we needed! but regardless of martin's coat predictions even if he stays the way he is now forever thats totally fine hes still beautiful and we LOVE him!...but as far as what specific color/type G is...i have no idea lol all i know is hes an F4...youre thinking an SBT?

gahnja77

Savannah Super Cat
also.....i apparently forgot everything i learned as far as grammar is concerned, plz mind the lack of proper punctuation heh

gahnja77

Savannah Super Cat
hehehe i was wondering when someone would break my davinci code!...but thats actually a misconception! the name derives "in my instance" from years of playing mmo's and gahnja was always my characters names =)

not that i didnt have my party days tho ;) lol