Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah cat?

I had a friend suggest this cute kitten we found might be a Savannah? I have started researching the breed and find some similarities- but the coat is where I'm not seeing it- she has spots underneath- has the wildness and the body shape- just wanted your opinions ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412434678.501767.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412434690.685025.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412434735.341632.jpg

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Might even be a Bengal. Nice looking cat. Coloring looks right. You say you found this cat. Did you by chance run it past a veterinarian to see if it has a chip in it? Most bengals and savannahs are chipped for identification.

Haven't been to the vet yet- have an appointment next Friday - the kitty wandered up from a field near my job- they know I'm a cat lover so I happily took her home- no sign or response regarding found kitty- she has fleas and was pretty dirty

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Does not take them long to get dirty or to get fleas if out in the wild. But please ask your vet to check for a chip. She MAY be someone's baby. :)
She is a pretty one though.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hard to say and impossible to prove either way (there's no DNA test). I don't see much "Serval" in the face and there's no shot of the body type that makes her look tall and leanly muscled. She looks pretty average domestic shorthair to me in those pictures...

It's important to know that domestic shorthairs come in the spotted form and that behavior is NOT a breed identification trait. Color and pattern are not good indicators of breed, there are too many cat breeds that come in "brown spotted tabby" form. "Wild" is not a Savannah trait!

Thank you Bridgitte for the informative information - how about instead of wild I use high activity and high curiosity!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
She sure is a pretty girl! Really hard to guess from these pics what breed she might be. In the first pic I might imagine a bit of Savannah in her, in the second she looks more like a Bengal, and in the third I can almost see a Pixiebob face! So I think she can be whatever you want her to be!! :up:

John Popp

Site Supporter
Pretty girl, hard to tell the breed without seeing what kind of length she has. Not size but rather length is the best indicator although later generations make even that hard to tell. One thing with the coat is if there is any indication of the spots being in a horizontal pattern. Plenty of different cats with vertical or mackerel type spotting but not so many that have them running horizontally.

All that aside, it looks like you have a beautiful girl!