Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Exotic Cats - Savannahexoticcats.com - NY and NJ - SCAMMER

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thank you Paige. Buying an animal is new for me. I always get rescues. I wouldn't buy a car without sitting in it and test driving it, so selecting something that will be like my child from "mail order" isn't very personal. Guess I I will have to get over it and be content with someone that will at least let me pick up my kitten instead of shipping him.

Part of the issue is that cats pick up diseases much easier than dogs and many of us have small catteries in our homes. I allow kitten buyers to come see their kitten, once they place a deposit and we have established a relationship. I have never had an issue selling my kittens. I send pictures all the time, am available to talk via phone, message or email, so it really is personal. And remember, a car is not a living being, so much different. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thank you. I am new to Savannahs and am already having a hard time looking for a "mail order child."
That is just not the way I want to purchase a cat that I will have hopefully 15-20 years. Looking at breeders close enough to Alabama that I could drive to. Anyone know anything about Dreamweaver Cats in North Carolina?
Shelby is a very nice lady, and pays attention to producing healthy socialized kittens :)

Purchasing a kitten remotely does not have to be a bad thing, I do not suggest to limit yourself geographically in finding the right kitten for you. You simply need to be thoughtful in researching a breeder, not simply finding a cute picture of a kitten but asking enough questions to learn more about the breeder and how they raise kittens. If a breeder doesn't have the time to answer your questions, then they are not likely to be of great support after they have your money, so that is a red flag. You want to know about the personality of both parents and the kittens, they should be able to tell you more than oh the kitten is so loving. Some breeders can email you video as well as pictures, I think I saw Patti (Jasirisana Savannahs) say that she will FaceTime so a buyer can see the kitten. Technology can really help :)

I have always preferred to fly in and get my kitten, I am not a fan of shipping cats cargo. One can often make it a fun weekend trip somewhere with a cool "souvenir" to take home... we did that years ago picking up a kitten from Louisiana, we had a weekend in New Orleans then drove and picked up our baby before flying out :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've known Marjorie online for years, but never had a direct interaction with her. I had somewhat thought she had retired from breeding as she's not been too online it seems for some years...

GeorgeRalph

Savannah Kitten
I've known Marjorie online for years, but never had a direct interaction with her. I had somewhat thought she had retired from breeding as she's not been too online it seems for some years...
Thanks, I am adopting an F2 boy from her and get to pick him up a week from Sunday. I have talked to her extensively on the phone and she seems like an absolute sweetheart who is extremely knowledgeable about Savannah's and Servals. I was just curious if other people were having the same experience as I.