Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah, long hair problem

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Everyone,

My F2 has slightly longer hair under her front paws and belly. Lately it has gotten into little balls and now it is growing longer into a bonified tangle under both legs. My kitty won't really let me brush her for any length of time, and bites pretty fiercly at the brush as well. I called the Vet, they feel that they can cut them out safely, and if she really causes a ruckess she may have to be sedated which makes me ill.

So my question is, does anyone else have a Savannah that has this issue? If so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks!

Trish Allearz

Sedation for grooming is pretty normal for cats- most cats are not well behaved at the groomer's. For me- I'd probably just clip the mats myself. I've never seen a SV mat though.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the words on sedation, I didn't know that. She won't let anyone else near her, really growls and actually will try to bite the other person and eventually me holding her. I have tried cutting them and she squirms so much that I am afraid I am going to accidentally cut her. I realize that her longish hair is totally abnormal ~ I wish it werent' so!!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It is an unusual problem for a Savannah...although we don't want a tight, close-lying coat like an Oriental we don't tend to want a long shaggy one either! I am wondering if your girl has Maine Coon behind her...as recessive carrying of the long hair gene can make the coat a bit shaggier...which is how I am imagining her coat to be to cause this issue.

Do you have anyone to help you out... maybe you restrain her (scruffing can be useful here) and the other person can quickly and carefully clip the mats away.

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Aww poor kitty. I agree that she probably has some maine coon in her as well. Id try toe nail clippers over scisors if you can, makes it easier to not cut the kitty. My maine coon hated me cutting hers.

I know sedations no fun, but my 1 boy anything other then quick shots that's what we have to do. He had to get his teeth looked at and we had to sedate him, we had no choice. I know as a kitty parent it sounds bad but its better then not treating/checking out a problem.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for your suggestions. The breeder actaully said that she has never had a kitty come out like this and that it must be some recessive gene somewhere! He hair is super soft and longish, fluffly on the bottom. I like the toe nail clipper idea...I was thinking also yesterday that if I could catch her while she was asleep, I might have a better chance of non-skirming for a minute or so!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Definitely catching them in naptime can be a tactic that works... it's worth a try as I know it works for some. Just you need to remember which claws you've done each time as you won't have too much time to check them before she wakes up!