Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Proof Your Home - List

admin

Paige
Staff member
This list is a work in progress. Please feel free to add to this thread. The following tips are courtesy of Cynthia King, The Kasbah Ltd.

• Kittens can ingest small objects, so check to make certain they do not have access to items like rubber bands, string, tiny plastic objects, coins and small rubber objects. Also frequently check toys to assure they are not broken.
  • Secure any small spaces in your home (such as uncovered floor vents), to prevent your kitten from exploring and getting stuck in an area where you cannot get to them.
  • Remove poisonous plants, all access to human medications, poisons and cleaning products as these can be deadly. NEVER give a cat ANY medication that has not been prescribed by a veterinarian. Cats do not metabolize medications the same way people and dogs do and will likely react poorly. Tylenol and aspirin can actually be fatal to a cat.
  • Remove heavy objects that could fall on them and either remove or secure your precious knickknacks.
  • Prevent kittens from chewing on electrical cords by covering them, treating with Bitter Apple spray, Tabasco Sauce or running them through PVC pipe. Electric shock can cause severe injuries and even death.
  • Close toilet lids and be conscious of leaving an unattended kitten near a full bathtub or a sink full of dish water to avoid possible drowning.
  • Secure hanging drape cords as playing kittens can easily strangle in them.
  • Be wary of rockers and lounge chairs as small kittens can become trapped in the mechanical parts and be seriously injured.
  • Exercise extreme caution when opening and closing doors. Cats are infamous for trying to slip through open doorways. Your attention to this small detail can prevent an unwanted escape or the disaster of an accidental crushing.
  • As your kitten grows you will also need to pay close attention to prevent interaction with a hot stove top and may also find it necessary to install child-proof locks on your cupboards.

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Don't forget, not just childproof your stove and kitchen. Any cabnet with cleaning products (bathroom sink cabnets) also can have major hazards

A

Aaron M

Two things to add onto the electrical cords bullet-point:
  1. I've read mixed things on Bitter Apple Spray — it works for some cats and not so well for others. So, if you use this approach, unplug exposed electrical cords and see if it repels the cat/kitten.
  2. An alternative to PVC pipe is convoluted tubing, which you can purchase from an automotive store. Here is an image:

Attachments

• 39045.jpg
    39045.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 49

Katniss

And her brother Crazy !
Our kitties love to hide under our afghans and curl up in the crack of the sofa out of sight. We have almost sat on them!! We have learned to lift the afghans before settling in !!

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
This is a good list above...thanks. I'm currently doing a second round of Savannah proofing my house (did a first round, but as I let him play and watched him I noticed some other things). Amongst some others:

=>remove all door stops (spring+rubber stop) - within minutes Shango began noticing and playing with one (so I unscrewed all of them!)
=>cut all pillow tags off
=>vacuum and sweep like crazy (to remove any possible plastic doo hickies on the floor which I'm sure Shango would like to chew on)

It's certainly true that Savannah's are way more curious than the average cat breed! I'm finding that out as a new owner ;)

dj

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
If you wrap cords in double sided sticky tape to discourage a kitten from biting it, make sure to watch the tape. They will sometimes eat the tape.

With window blinds, the strings can act just like ribbon, where if they're chewing on it - it can start going down their throat and then they can't easily spit it back out.

Referring to the door stops, my vet told me he had to do several surgeries on cat's had swallowed them. So certainly not just savannah's doing it, but savannah's are more prone to chew on them.

Cat Litter! - Make sure you watch that your cat is not eating their cat litter, particularly if it is clay based. If they are a) get your cat checked out by the vet and b) switch to a grain based cat litter or a non-clumping cat litter.

Check underneath your bed to make sure the cat isn't ripping the stuffing out - I found that out the hard way. She didn't get that far but Neka was chewing and swallowing the cotton material of the underside of the box spring before I found out.

Watch your cat toy's, make sure they aren't fragile one's that will break easily, and one's that don't have a lot of string associated with the main toy.

Lagrande

Savannah Child
Keep an eye on your cat if you have a refrigerator with a freezer drawer at the bottom. The baby cat can go behind the drawer and you won't notice it! My Bengal did this a couple of time, I'm lucky I notice it before closing the drawer.

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 10 avec Tapatalk