Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannahs Are ILLEGAL in New York City - Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island

admin

Paige
Staff member
ALL savannahs are illegal at this time.

F5 And later are legal outside of the five boroughs...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
And I'd like to add that a breeder who sells a kitten to someone who lives where they are illegal is not a reputable breeder imho. Where a buyer lives is one of the first questions a breeder should ask.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, some less ethical breeders will say that it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure it is legal, but that is a cop out. They know that most pet buyers have no idea that the kitten might not be legal, therefore it is their responsibility to let them know and to do the research themselves to be sure the cat would be safe. We as breeders have responsibility to the kittens we bring into this world.

And I know that many think "nobody would find out" but that simply is not always true. A neighbor has a grudge and reports you, a friend has a falling out, or a coworker has a grudge. I actually know of a case where a person had two Savannahs (one was F1 and one F2) in NY state when the law was passed making them illegal. Her cubicle at work was plastered with pics and she was proud of her cats so all her coworkers knew. A coworker was fired and was very disgruntled, next thing there was the authorities banging on her door saying they had a report of illegal cats. Fortunately she was one of the very very few that actually applied for the grandfather permits for her cats so she showed them and had a lovely visit showing off her gorgeous cats. I've known cases where Fedex guy is scared by the cat that appears at the window and calls Animal Control. Repairmen that are startled by the "wild" looking cat... things you don't expect end up with your illegal cat being noticed.

And it is the cat that suffers. The cat loses its home suddenly at the very least. In some states and counties it can even lose its life.

It's easy to pretend that you found a website that says they are ok, or you asked your AC officer and they didn't know of any ban. If you are sure it is legal where you are, get it in writing or keep the reference to the part of the law that excludes Savannahs from any ban. It won't always save you if the next person in charge interprets the law differently, but it likely will buy you time to be able to rehome your cat safely or move yourself if you love your cat enough to leave.

Savannah Mama

Site Supporter
I just don't get why they are legal some places and illegal in other places. Was there some accident that happened in those states or something? It is after all a cat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I just don't get why they are legal some places and illegal in other places.
It is primarily through animal rights groups such as HSUS, PETA, Animal Legal Defense Fund among others who believe hybrids are an abomination and should not exist let alone be kept as pets. They conduct very effective campaigns to convince people that Savannahs are dangerous and according to Carol Baskin at Big Cat Rescue "will eat your grandmother."

Savannah Mama

Site Supporter
I should have known PETA and others like them would be involved in that non sense. They always take it to such extremes. I might add, that any cat is capable of doing damage. What difference does it make, it is a cat for crying out loud, not a cougar. LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
some less ethical breeders will say that it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure it is legal, but that is a cop out
Not only is it a cop out but it shows a complete disregard and lack of respect and compassion for the lives of the kittens that they have brought into this world. These are live creatures, not a Lego toy, and as Brigitte pointed out, their confiscation in illegal areas can lead to dire consequences :(