Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Save the Claws 101...

Jeni

Aniyah's mommy
I think I have the best little kitty cat in the whole entire universe! Aniyah let me trim ALL TEN front claws last night with the nail clippers!!!!!!!! This may seem small and simple to some of you but to me.....this is the ultiimate success:Geeky: At claw #10 however, the clippers then became the object of her affection, then she wanted to play with them, then she started trying to take them from me and run. So, toes 11 - 20 will have to wait for the next calm moment!

Just some background:
I was raised with just the regular run o' the mill kitty cats that we took home from Granny's backyard one summer. They were fully declawed (by my parents) and I never thought of it as an issue. Of course, I was all of maybe 7 years old when we got them. Into my latter teen/early adulthood years, I got my own kitty, in my own house, started my own family. Well sadly enough, I had her fully declawed as well (again, not knowing any better).

Fast forward to me being a "fully mature and responsible adult";), I now have my first SV and made the vow, before she ever came home, that we are NOT going to cut her toes off! I warned my husband, my three kids, my mother, my Granny, my sister, everyone I could think of in fact....that this little baby will keep her claws. I became determined, in fact, to do everything I possibly could to change how her precious little claws were perceived and that I would do all I possibly could to learn how to live with them.

That's where the Save the Claws 101 comes in. I honestly feel that people are simply uneducated on what options are out there as to learning how to live with a kitty and their claws. I honestly NEVER have given declawing a second thought until now....It simply is not an option for us.

1) I never knew that kitty claws can be trimmed. We cut our own right?! I mean we'd have claws too if we never cut our nails. Why don't vets tell you this???

2) I never knew that by offering your cat a scratching post, there's a likely chance that they'll actually use it and even HELP you in the claw upkeep?! Again, we file our nails too. Heck, I actually go to the salon and have acrylic nails....now THERE's a thought!;)

3) I have yet to use them but the idea behind Soft Paws is absolutely ingenious. I have them, in pink of course, just haven't gotten to use them yet. I plan on being able to use them within the next week or so. My baby has just been so rambunctious that it was a miracle from God to be able to catch her while she was relaxed last night just to clip them.

All this is to say, had I known HOW to do these things instead of just being told "Don't declaw" it may have made a big difference. So, I'll be educating on kitty cat manicures a little more now. Just wanted to share our milestone with youtri big grin:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Congrats Jeni, that is indeed an achievement. I can do 2 of mine easily. Maliik on the other hand, is impossible. I get maybe 2 nails trimmed before he becomes "uncooperative." At that rate, it would take an entire year to get through all 4 feet. :uh oh: So, when we go for his annual check-up, they have to knock him out for the blood draw and he gets is mani-pedi at the same time.

Jeni

Aniyah's mommy
I guess I seriously lucked out then huh?! Well, and her being a total princess helps too;) Her little nails were almost like needles before I cut them so I can just imagine if Maliik only gets his done at his annual. So does Maliik keep them somewhat trimmed by using the scratching posts only? I ask because, what if it was a fluke thing that I got to trim them last night? I tried one, then the next, and just kept on going because she let me. How nice would that be to just take your kitty to the groomer for a "nail appointment", hahaha. Just dreaming:rolleyes:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
So does Maliik keep them somewhat trimmed by using the scratching posts only? I ask because, what if it was a fluke thing that I got to trim them last night? I tried one, then the next, and just kept on going because she let me. How nice would that be to just take your kitty to the groomer for a "nail appointment", hahaha. Just dreaming:rolleyes:

Maliik!!? Scratching post??!! Self-trimmed nails??! :roflmao: He uses everything in the house but the scratching posts. Such a brat. He has big feet and nails to match. And his nails are long and curved and needle sharp. Luckily he is very gentle and sweet and keeps them sheathed when playing with us or the other cats. My other 2 will chew the tips down on their nails but I've never seen Maliik do that. His nails don't go clickity clack on the floor like the other 2 do if I let their nails get too long.

Just took these pics a minute ago. Big Foot Freddy Krueger Cat :paw: I couldn't squeeze his toes enough to get the whole nail out because he started getting insulted at my audacity.

Attachments

• feeties.jpg
    feeties.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 56
  • freddykrueger.jpg
    freddykrueger.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 55

admin

Paige
Staff member
Congrats, jeni, that is wonderful! And great post on educating others about how it is simply not necessary to declaw...I did most of the kittens last night, but...they all want to play with the baby nail clipper...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Jeni, thanks for posting this, it was quite an eye opener for me to read why people automatically declaw their cats. As you say, education is the key - I'm glad you saw the light, and even gladder that Aniyah was such a good girl for you during her trim! :up:

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Glad to hear that you first nail trim went so well.
My oldest, Diablo is fantastic about getting his weekly manicure- we go into the bathroom, he gets treats, i do his front two paws, he gets treats, and I do his back paws and he gets treats. He is very good about not scratching us or the furniture.
His brother Jarvis on the other hand is a bit of a challenge - he doesn't really like me picking him up to begin with, so i really only attempt his front paws. I do that with him on my lap, wrapped in a blanket, with just his head and the paw I am working on out at a time. We take a break (for treats) between paws and as soon as he starts to get upset. He gets his front paws done about every other week. He is not nearly as aware of his claws as Diablo is; I have to trim them or he would unintentionally rip us to shreds. He is still trying to scratch the furniture, but I am hoping that he will eventually grow out of it (he is 7 months old tomorrow).

Our new baby, Mickey, doesn't mind getting a manicure at all - he did the same thing to me Aniyah did to you last week, and I was NOT expecting it, i've never seen a kitten try to make out with/eat nail clippers before.

Jeni

Aniyah's mommy
Sounds like it was a bit of luck she allowed me to trim her nails from what you all say! Soooooo glad my baby is a lap girl and lets me play with her toesies:) I honestly do think education and awareness is key here. Her little nails were needle sharp and by no fault of her own, my hands were repeatedly getting poked by them. I thought I'd give trimming a shot and by golly it worked for me. I'll have to give you the report on how putting the Soft Paws goes. THAT one may not be so easy:eek: But for now, we are needle free!!! Woohooooo!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I started trimming my kittens' claws when they were a couple of days old, so they are used to it now...I trim them every week ;)