Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Shock collars for cats

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
There are collars that spray water instead of using an electric shock. They are marketed for puppies, and are the more humane option. I’m not sure either would be a good option, though, it could make him worse.

5-10 minutes may not be enough of a time out. We have one that needs time outs occasionally, 15 minutes is the minimum amount of time it takes to reset his brain/mood. He goes in the bathroom - no toys. It’s positive reinforcement in his case because he wants to be wherever I am, I don’t know if that’s the case with your boy.

Have you tried hissing at him? That works well with our f2 lady, much better than scolding. We had a week-long squabble over her wanting to be on the stove. I finally hissed in her face out of frustration, and she hasn’t gotten up there since.

Have you considered having his claws capped?

Have you considered giving him something for calming like CBD oil? CBD works great on our f2, it doesn’t sedate her at all, just takes the edge of her edginess off when she gets over-excited. I also run her around the house daily with a laser pointer or wand toy until she’s panting, which really helps.

Hope you find a solution, that’s got to be nerve-wracking!

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
I would hope you would not hit him - he is just a baby...kittens are not mean - their little teeth are sharp...he is just trying to play like he would with a sibling...it can be a phase he is going through. You need to be persistent in retraining him not to bite. Cats do not understand time out - they understand positive reinforcement.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
There are collars that spray water instead of using an electric shock. They are marketed for puppies, and are the more humane option. I’m not sure either would be a good option, though, it could make him worse.

5-10 minutes may not be enough of a time out. We have one that needs time outs occasionally, 15 minutes is the minimum amount of time it takes to reset his brain/mood. He goes in the bathroom - no toys. It’s positive reinforcement in his case because he wants to be wherever I am, I don’t know if that’s the case with your boy.

Have you tried hissing at him? That works well with our f2 lady, much better than scolding. We had a week-long squabble over her wanting to be on the stove. I finally hissed in her face out of frustration, and she hasn’t gotten up there since.

Have you considered having his claws capped?

Have you considered giving him something for calming like CBD oil? CBD works great on our f2, it doesn’t sedate her at all, just takes the edge of her edginess off when she gets over-excited. I also run her around the house daily with a laser pointer or wand toy until she’s panting, which really helps.

Hope you find a solution, that’s got to be nerve-wracking!
We were capping his claws, but they were a pain to keep on and the claws aren’t the problem. It is his biting. Where do you get CBD Oil and how much do you give? I don’t want to drug him. He has four people meeting his every need everyday and playing with him. The time out does calm him down, but it is after our arms are dripping with blood from an angry attack and biting.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
I would hope you would not hit him - he is just a baby...kittens are not mean - their little teeth are sharp...he is just trying to play like he would with a sibling...it can be a phase he is going through. You need to be persistent in retraining him not to bite. Cats do not understand time out - they understand positive reinforcement.
Actually the time out is the only thing that has let him calm down and stop attacking. This is not play biting I am talking about. It is aggressive, ears back, mad about who knows what attacking. I have had cats and kittens my entire life, and this is my second Savannah. He is already over 15 lbs. at 6 months old. I have to get this stopped before he gets any bigger. I would never be abusive to any animal, but when you already have 4 bandaids on your arms and you are dripping blood from a new bite, you do want to pick him up and smack his bottom.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Maybe you should talk to the breeder about returning him. I messaged you, so please check your inbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
We were capping his claws, but they were a pain to keep on and the claws aren’t the problem. It is his biting. Where do you get CBD Oil and how much do you give? I don’t want to drug him. He has four people meeting his every need everyday and playing with him. The time out does calm him down, but it is after our arms are dripping with blood from an angry attack and biting.

https://treatibles.com/oil-dropper-bottles/

I like this brand the best for many reasons, the biggest is that they use a solvent-free extraction method. I have the 250mg strength bottle, and give my 8lb f2 six (6) drops in food.

The bitter apple spray mentioned by another poster is a good idea - you’d want to check that it isn’t skin irritating before using it on your arms.

What kind of toys do you use for play? I’d stick to wand toys that have something on a string attached to a wand. That way, your arms/hands won’t be as accessible when he gets aggressive.

Is he lovey at all? Can you pet him?

admin

Paige
Staff member

https://treatibles.com/oil-dropper-bottles/

I like this brand the best for many reasons, the biggest is that they use a solvent-free extraction method. I have the 250mg strength bottle, and give my 8lb f2 six (6) drops in food.

The bitter apple spray mentioned by another poster is a good idea - you’d want to check that it isn’t skin irritating before using it on your arms.

What kind of toys do you use for play? I’d stick to wand toys that have something on a string attached to a wand. That way, your arms/hands won’t be as accessible when he gets aggressive.

I find it very difficult to believe a 5 month old kitten is aggressive. Yes his ears are back and this is what they do when play fighting with their siblings. I have five Kittens right now who are three months old and they play Exactly like that. As a matter of fact, I have a video of one of my big kittens with his ears back with his mother, who promptly smacked him down... This is why I am saying that this kitten is treating you as if you were a sibling... It is exactly what they do.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter

Those don’t look like play bites to me, those are deep. I agree with Paige, I would reconsider keeping him, even in an outdoor enclosure. As you’ve said, he’s going to get bigger, and you will have a real problem on your hands if this behavior continues.

Make sure you visit your doctor right away if you feel ill, cat bites carry all sorts of bacteria.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
Maybe you should talk to the breeder about returning him. I messaged you, so please check your inbox.

I would never return him. He is my baby. I just wanted suggestions to help with the attacking and biting. Would you return one of your children when they had problems? I am sorry, but I have been trying to figure out how to get your message on here for about an hour. Even though I support with a monthly donation, navigating this site is usually a problem for me. I can’t read your message, but maybe that is a good thing. My breeder, Pro Savannahs, in North Carolina is excellent, and this is my second Savannah from her. The breeder isn’t the problem here.

admin

Paige
Staff member

I would never return him. He is my baby. I just wanted suggestions to help with the attacking and biting. Would you return one of your children when they had problems? I am sorry, but I have been trying to figure out how to get your message on here for about an hour. Even though I support with a monthly donation, navigating this site is usually a problem for me. I can’t read your message, but maybe that is a good thing. My breeder, Pro Savannahs, in North Carolina is excellent, and this is my second Savannah from her. The breeder isn’t the problem here.

And that is my point... You were talking about putting a shock collar on a 5 month old kitten or putting him outside for the rest of his life. Think about how that sounds to those of us who would never do such a thing. I know how I would feel if one of my kitten buyers wanted to do this...I would want my kitten back.

Talk to Marilyn - I'm sure she can help as long as you listen to her advice and follow what she says.

As for the forum - thank you for your donation. It is not difficult to navigate and there is a user manual to help... Or ask for help and I will try to guide you.

Last edited: