Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

So, Nala has kind of a Kangaroo Pouch...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The two domestic shorthairs my husband had when I met him had pouches, to me it is a very domestic trait. My British Shorthair has a decent one but then he's chubby all over :)

As Patti points out, it is a well-documented trait of Egyptian Maus...and so in some Savannahs they might inherit it.

Completely agreed that your girl should be spayed, not because of any fears of brittle leg bones, but to prevent the behaviors that most pet owners don't appreciate: yowling for a mate, spraying, desperate attempts to escape the house to find a mate...

John Popp

Site Supporter
I've had a few domestics with larger primordial pouches but my SVs have been pretty clear of them being noticeable.

As for the fragility of the leg bones, I just don't see it. Understanding how they use them and how they work, there is just a great deal of muscle surrounding them and some strong tendons used to harness loads of kinetic energy. The femoral heads where they sit in the socket is a little suspect, but that's primarily because evolution has created a muscle mass that holds the bone in place more than the hip socket.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
My F7 Jengo has a giant pouch! The vet said it was fat and sadly it was a little full...but it inflates and deflates cyclically. I thought it was an SV
Thing even though Biz, my F5 doesn't seem to have it. It's cute though and Jengo likes his pouch rubbed :)

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
To Eddies F5 embarrassment, yes he does & not getting out into his kitty pen is making it grow...Mojo has a little bitty one but he is much more selective as to what he eats. To me the 2 SVs look very similar yet very different at the same time...in short (lol) Eddie looks more domestic yet graceful compared to Mojos longer legs, shorter tail, bigger jaws/ears....both beautiful spotted babies.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
To Eddies F5 embarrassment, yes he does & not getting out into his kitty pen is making it grow...Mojo has a little bitty one but he is much more selective as to what he eats. To me the 2 SVs look very similar yet very different at the same time...in short (lol) Eddie looks more domestic yet graceful compared to Mojos longer legs, shorter tail, bigger jaws/ears....both beautiful spotted babies.
Have we had any updated pics of Eddie and Mojo recently? I think we're due... :up: