Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Stella and Chewy's dog version for cats?

MsHarryWinston

Savannah Super Cat
So I've been weaning Inara off of her kibble addiction and it's coming along really well. For commercial raw I had her trying Primal freeze dried and she's okay with it. Then the other day I grabbed some Stella and Chewy's and she INHALED the freeze dried chicken. She's also liking the S&C frozen rabbit morsels.

But I was wondering about the dog formulas. They have SO many more flavors! I see they have taurine and I've read that it's enough for kitties but are we sure?

Also, they have veggies in the dog formula. Is it too much veggies for our kitties?

I would like to be able to add the lamb, pheasant and venison formulas to the cat formulas offered for more rotation options.

*in case anyone is thinking of mentioning homemade raw, I have samples of both TCFeline and Better in the Raw supplement premix on the way. But meat in Canada is MUCH more expensive than the States. Here chicken is $9/lb and then maybe $5/lb when it's on sale.

So homemade isn't the same huge saving up here. I'm still going to try it when I get the sample packs but for now I would like to get my commercial raw options sorted out. Oh, we also don't have a Hare-Today equivalent up here.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Most of my cats go wild for Stella and Chewys. If you want to use the dog formulas as a snack you might be able to get away with it but I would NOT feed dog food as the main diet for a cat.

MsHarryWinston

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Patti. Turns out that Primal has pheasant, turkey and venison options for cats, but not a single store in my stupid city carries the frozen raw. It's 4am now, but later in the day I'll call the store down the street that carries the Primal freeze dried and see if I can special order the frozen. I think my preferred shop across the street (family owned) is strictly a Stella and Chewy vendor. *facepalm*

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Where abouts in Canada are you? We have excellent options here in Ontario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MsHarryWinston

Savannah Super Cat
I'm in BC. Sorry I should have said that instead of "Canada". Ontario was the one place in my searching that actually had some decent options with online shopping and local delivery as well. *sigh*

Kristin

Animal Communicator
And yet BC is far more advanced than us as far as alternative and holistic approaches go. I'm surprised there aren't local raw options for you. We have 3 or 4 brands that are made locally in Ontario. I'm sure you would be able to get some in BC at a raw supplier...

I found this http://growlies.ca/catalog/#!/Raw/c/12540528/offset=0&sort=normal

What about checking if other stores local to you carry some of these brands? I personally am more comfortable with our local brands as opposed to brands like Stella and Chewy's mainly, as they add in quite a few fruits and veggies.

I saw Carnivora listed on a few websites...they are really expensive but are well known as being premium raw food

There is also this http://buddiesnaturalpetfood.ca/cats/ but I would ask them about bone content since they don't have it listed

MsHarryWinston

Savannah Super Cat
I've definitely checked all of these places out. Unfortunately it's not just a problem of province but the city I live in. Vancouver has some great options but they don't ship outside of Vancouver.

My city is VERY slow on the raw food uptake. The S&C carrying pet store I go to ONLY carries the frozen rabbit for cats because almost no one buys raw for cats. So there is no point in stocking more. Though they are more than happy to special order in the other flavors. They carry multiple freeze dried options though.

*update: Found an Indy specialty pet store across the river that sells Carnivora.

Oh and the Stella and Chewy's cat recipes don't have any veggies in it if that's been holding you back from trying them. They are 98-99% meat.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Oh and the Stella and Chewy's cat recipes don't have any veggies in it if that's been holding you back from trying them. They are 98-99% meat.

You're right, I just double checked it. It is the added synthetic vitamins I was shying away from. I've started getting whole prey for mine now, and have definitely found it to be superior, however it is a gruesome task

MsHarryWinston

Savannah Super Cat
Whole prey and prey model seem like a great way to go but they just aren't in the cards for me at the moment.

I'm going to have to start hunting for meat sales again so that I can do homemade ground (actually chopped) without breaking the bank. Muscle meat, premix, BAM done. (So long as she eats it). That's my ultimate goal as long as I can find meat under $6/lb. Commercial raw is my backup plan for if I can't, and what I'm using to get her onto raw in the first place.

MsHarryWinston

Savannah Super Cat
Ugh, my math sucks. I just realized that even at $10/lb the homemade would equal about $80/month @ 4oz a day. While the S&C costs closer to $120 to feed her.

I REALLY hope she likes the premix.