Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Stinky Urine

L

Louie'sDad

:eek:
Louie will be seven months old this Friday, and not yet neutered. About 2 weeks ago, his urine took on a very strong ammonia smell. Is this a sign that he'll be starting to mark territory soon? Is it a sign of UTI? Is it a reaction to the 14 day Ronidazole course that he completed a couple of weeks ago? Is it a sign of kidney disease?

FYI: I use non clumping, pelletized pine sawdust litter.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
The ammonia smell usually means his kidneys are working properly. I found a source that said 30%-36% of a single dose of ronidazole is excreted in the urine but it didn't mention changing the aroma of the urine. We'll have to wait for someone with more expertise to chime in. I suspect he's just growing up. Time to get him snipped.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
He's reaching sexual maturity age so yes his urine is going to smell stronger and stronger...and more like skunk if you ask me. It's stud male cat pee smell and it's horrible. Even if they don't spray, the urine is pungent enough your house will start to reek of it. Well at least until he's neutered, then it will go back to normal cat pee smell...

L

Louie'sDad

Appointment is scheduled for next Wednesday 6/12. I specified isoflurane gas rather than injectable. No food or drink at least 8 hours before.

Anything else I should be aware of or tell vet? Blood work is optional. How important is it?

Kristine

Appointment is scheduled for next Wednesday 6/12. I specified isoflurane gas rather than injectable. No food or drink at least 8 hours before.

Anything else I should be aware of or tell vet? Blood work is optional. How important is it?
I never do the blood work on a young healthy cat. You have specified the correct anesthesia. Just be aware that it takes about a week (sometimes longer) for the stinky (boy cat) urine smell to go away.

L

Louie'sDad

Thanks. Don't want to do blood work either. Glad for the support. Thanks for the heads-up on the stinky urine.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Like Kristine, I don't do the blood work on a young healthy cat... they always suggest it and I am sure it is to cover themselves in case something is undetected. And revenue hunting ;-)

Yes, as Kristine says, it can take some weeks for the hormone levels to dissipate and so the urine won't smell better for a bit...

Hope the neuter is quick and uneventful! I'll be overseas and probably not sitting in on the forum during that time...