Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise Kitten!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks! What I meant was- is there something more specific than just 'smoke'? I read about it on another thread:

"smoke can come in any color of melanistic ; brown black, chocolate, cinnamon, and the dilute colors blue, lilac, fawn, and the modified dilute colors caramel, taupe, and carmel-fawn (or what ever a cinnamon modified dilute is called). It caused the silver inhibitor gene and makes a melanistic cat a smoke. Otherwise the cat is silver."

He was born on October 1st :)

Ah, ok...IDK - it is hard to tell right now, so when he gets older, his breeder should be able to tell you ;) Or we will be able to tell you!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
He is a cutie! I think if his nose is black and his paw pads are black then he is a black smoke :up:

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
He is the cutest little boy :) Congratulations...looking forward to pics and stories when he arrives home!

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
Here is our new SV baby- my husband's Christmas gift!! He knows I am getting a kitten for him, but has not seen any photos :) (I've gone back and forth with about 10 kittens before finally settling on this guy =) This little smoke boy will be home for New Years!! I can't wait to have 2 kitties, and I know Vivi will be happy to have a playmate! I had to share my excitement with you guys, as I know you'll understand!!

I just read on another thread about smoke colors (had no idea)- chocolate, tawny, etc... What would you say this boy is?

LOve, love, LOVE smokes! Congrats on your new baby!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Here is our new SV baby- my husband's Christmas gift!! He knows I am getting a kitten for him, but has not seen any photos :) (I've gone back and forth with about 10 kittens before finally settling on this guy =) This little smoke boy will be home for New Years!! I can't wait to have 2 kitties, and I know Vivi will be happy to have a playmate! I had to share my excitement with you guys, as I know you'll understand!!

I just read on another thread about smoke colors (had no idea)- chocolate, tawny, etc... What would you say this boy is?
Congratulations on the new kitten!

My guess would be black smoke, which is a permissible color/pattern for the Savannah breed :)

Becki

Savannah Super Cat

Awwww, so cute! I have a 6 month old smoke kitten. Your guy has much more silver than mine, which is very cool. My guy looks like a Mel in pictures, though in person his spots are easy to see and his tummy has a lot of silver. I am seeing more and more silver come through as he grows, but he won't ever be as dramatic as your baby!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, depending on how well the silver gene develops, your smoke Savannah can range from almost appearing melanistic (I had one like that years ago) to one that appears almost exactly like a silver spotted tabby too!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Thanks everyone! It will be pretty cool to have 2 rare color SVs :) But let's be honest, I am a sucker for that black nose!

Anyone else an 80's kid here? One of our favorite cartoons when we were little was David the Gnome, lol. I loved the fox, 'Swift', and am hoping to name him that. He reminds me of a little black fox or wolf... Hopefully hubby will like it too!

I also like the names Lucifer (from cinderella) & Vendetta (one of our fave movies). I thought 'Vivi and Vendetta' would be a cute pair!

Any other names come to mind?

You are asking for trouble with a name like Lucifer:p

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat

He is adorable! What a nice wifey to give him as a gift...