Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Taking A SV On A Road Trip

L

Louie'sDad

I'm thinking of taking my 2 YO male F1 (Louie) on a road trip with me from NJ to FL. The entire vacation may be up to three weeks long. I'm looking for expert advice from those who have done anything similar this in the past.
Thank you.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
When I take mine on long road trips they do fine... I use a large enough crate to fit a small litterbox and a space to put a cat bed they can stretch out a bit in... they might whine a bit at the start but mostly they just nap for the day. When I stop at a hotel, I bring them in, put out litterbox and dishes, toys and a cat bed on the hotel bed...and generally give them some time to explore on their own. We then play a lot and they settle pretty well. and once at the destination I find they settle into the room just fine...

L

Louie'sDad

Do you bring Louie for car rides on a regular basis now? If so, how is he?

Yes, I do. He never said/says one word.

Up until one YO he would go to my feet (overhead/cover/protection) while I was driving, and remain there. I finally relented, in the interest of safety, and let him stay in his crate, on the passenger seat, facing me. He appears calm, and in a trance-like state. I talk to him, and put my finger in the holes hoping for a lick, gentle bite or any kind of interaction, but there is none. From a neophyte's perspective, it appears that he is in a very calm, almost fugue like state. I can say, absolutely, that he's FAR from the curious, playful, vocal character that he is when he's in his home territory. I don't know whether or not I am mistaking his trance-like state for some sort of a defense mechanism, or not. There is no vocalization, no rustling, no cauterwailing.........simply calm.

If this is manifestation of extreme stress, then I'll leave him with his vet in a large, 3 celled enclosure special for him.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I harness Zeddie when we go on road trips, and she is great. She will cry for the first hour, but after that she just does her own thing.

With her, I know that it is far less stress for her to be with me than at a vet, or even cat sat by someone else. Vets have a lot of smells that are scary. I'd also be a bit concerned about catching something from a sick visitor

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I had a Himy that if you shook the car keys, she would run for the door. Unfortunately, my 2 current kitties lack her enthusiasm. Rafiki is more adventuresome than Jammu but hates to be away from Jammu so I am blessed with the non-stop caterwauling. We just bought a new truck with a crew cab and have been wondering if placing them in a large crate in back would improve matters enough for us to take them with us. I don't know what to make of Louie's behavior - highly traumatized or making do with the situation?.....I just don't know.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree that it would probably be less stressful for Louis to travel with you than to be kept at the vet's, but you need to also keep in mind where you are going to keep him once you reach your destination, remembering how potentially destructive an F1 can be, especially in a new place that is just waiting for him to explore and test...

L

Louie'sDad

I agree that it would probably be less stressful for Louis to travel with you than to be kept at the vet's, but you need to also keep in mind where you are going to keep him once you reach your destination, remembering how potentially destructive an F1 can be, especially in a new place that is just waiting for him to explore and test...

...........and THAT is what I'm afraid of. I could probably keep him in the bathroom overnight with water and litterbox. Of course, a bathroom with a shower curtain would be a problem. Of course, hide the TP and towels and tissues as well.

L

Louie'sDad

If I'm driving two days for, say, 10 hours each, how do I handle elimination, water and meals for him?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would purchase a 48" crate so there's enough room for food, water, and a litterbox (although he will probably not use the litterbox while crated)... provided your vehicle is big enough to handle a crate of that size...