Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Teething toys for kittens

DChap

Site Supporter
After just about exhausting my bank account purchasing toys for my teething Tojo whose either not interested in them or has chewed on them to the point of actually ingesting :eek: them, I found the perfect household items. A heavy duty plastic straw (which I remove after he chews it to a certain point) or a zip tie tightly wrapped around a wine cork! Now if I could just keep my big dog away from them ;). I notice Tojo seems to be esp. desperate to chew on something in the late evenings. His poor gums must be so sore bcuz when I look in his mouth- half his teeth are gone!!!.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Around here I use dog toys: (Kong is a good brand), hard rubber and stuffed dog toys and well-constructed baby toys. A lot of kitten and cat toys just don't hold up or are too small to do much good, and I worry they may be swallowed whole or parts chewed off and swallowed. Here's some pics of my kittens' (and cats) favorite toys with Antoinette modeling (she is available!) :

I don't know what the ball is called, but I have seen similar ones at the pet store for dogs. I have added a few cheapy cat crinkle balls inside of it. This is probably the all time favorite around for chewing. The knotted toys are made of fleece scraps, and can be made as big or thick as you want and the ends cut off. The baby ring toy is one of my garage sale finds....I scour "free" boxes at yard sales for potential kitten toys, and also constantly check my local thrift stores :)

Attachments

• DSCF4964.jpg
    DSCF4964.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF4968.jpg
    DSCF4968.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF4956.jpg
    DSCF4956.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF4961.jpg
    DSCF4961.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF4951.jpg
    DSCF4951.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 55

DChap

Site Supporter
Thanks for the ideas and pics. I think I'll try that ball. The plastic teething toys go ignored and unfortunetly he EATS any and all fleece he gets near. I have major holes in pj's and have had to toss all my dogs cloth toys. He has some weird penchant for fabric. Antoinette is adorable!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thanks for the ideas and pics. I think I'll try that ball. The plastic teething toys go ignored and unfortunetly he EATS any and all fleece he gets near. I have major holes in pj's and have had to toss all my dogs cloth toys. He has some weird penchant for fabric. Antoinette is adorable!
I had a Savannah like that, we had to get rid of fleece and faux lambskin from the house...

I've not had much luck with plastic teething toys (mine have never seemed too interested) but tend to just look for sturdy canvas toys etc. and watch for signs of damage before replacing. In terms of teething, have you tried offering chicken jerky as I have heard some kittens enjoy gnawing on that, but also feeding a raw chicken drumstick might give them something to chew on too?

DChap

Site Supporter
Thanks Brigitte. I might try the chicken. I will have to put him somewhere our dog cant get to him while he gnaws on it.

Kurt Mylar

Savannah Super Cat
I used a mesh chew toy with cat nip inside it that worked for Bintu and Loki. Tiger got used to my fingers and wont stop. I think part of that is I got him at about 5 weeks old and he thinks my finger are passy's

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I used a mesh chew toy with cat nip inside it that worked for Bintu and Loki. Tiger got used to my fingers and wont stop. I think part of that is I got him at about 5 weeks old and he thinks my finger are passy's
I think I've seen that kind of toy, isn't it one of the Petstages brand?

A

Alice

Old thread I know, but I will have to get a few of these, Azize is teething like crazy! Poor little guy.....