Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Teukie- The Kitty Idol

MermaidsandCats

Savannah Super Cat
I'm so sorry Stormi. At least Teukie is no longer in pain or suffering. I know it's hard to let go of someone you love. I had to put down 2 of my cats, both of which I grew up with; 1 to old age, 1 to feline diabetes. Neither were easy to do and I still hurt over the loss. But it was what was best for the furbaby. My heart goes out to you. You have friends here and we all care about you. Please talk to any of us when you are ready.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I appreciate you posting the vet's letter Stormi and certainly don't want to add to your grief. However, for informational purposes for others who may read this thread at a later date, the information presented in the vet's letter does not provide any answers as to the cause of Teukie's illness and death.

While I am not a veterinarian, my first thoughts on hearing his symptoms, later confirmed by the vet's letter, is that there was a disease, parasitic, or exposure to toxin process going on. Biopsies would have gone a long way toward solving the mystery. I understand that some people won't care what the cause of death is, that dealing with the loss of a loved family member is all that matters. But in homes with multiple cats, I would encourage anyone facing a similar situation to Teukie's to go further to find the answers. It could be important to the health of your other animals as well as any new animals brought into the home.

There is something not adding up about Teukie's situation and I would encourage all of you who may face such an awful situation in future to challenge and question your vet regarding diagnosis and treatment.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, I agree, Deborah... There is no way a multi organ system failure has been there since birth.. There is absolutely no way to come to that conclusion... This was not an official necropsy, where biopsies are done to determine cause... This was a vet trying to lay blame on a breeder as far as I am concerned...

I am glad Teukie is no longer suffering... But you are right... Something is not adding up...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It may more be that this vet wished to give Stormi closure...by taking the view that maybe something was wrong from birth then there was no blame attached to the grieving owner.

I agree, this isn't a satisfactory necropsy by a pathologist :-(

And agreed that when you have multiple pets you should request a necropsy to rule out anything that might affect your other beloved companions. It is hard to face when you are a mess emotionally, but it really is important.

On a practical note, owners should note that many contracts require a certified pathologist to do the necropsy to satisfy the replacement/refund clause...

RIP little Teukie :-(

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte, I think the vet was doing his best to give Stormi closure, and I also agree with Deborah that this sounds more like a toxic exposure - that is commonly the cause of sudden multi-system failure and/or bleeding (many toxins effect multiple organs at once, and can cause low/no platelets which then leads to bleeding). However, our best guestimates are not answers, and unfortunately we will probably never know the cause of death now. Nevertheless, regardless of cause, it is a tragic loss for Stormi and my heart is broken over losing this precious little boy :cry:

Stormi

Savannah Super Cat
First let me say this- No blame is being placed on anyone. This is something that happens. His siblings from what I know are perfectly healthy. It's a random occurrence that was bound to happen to someone, somewhere.

Teukie was taken to the vet for diarrhea before the purchase. Still had it when we got him home(assumed stress and poor food). It was said a high-fiber diet would be necessary. We fed him Blue Buffalo and tried giving him BF treats. The treats were not the same recipe and such. 1 single treat would throw his stools into a puddle. Even without giving him treats and keeping his feeding regular, he seemed ok but would still have bouts of diarrhea.

He has never been out of our house or ever around another cat. There are no poisons in our house and no chemicals are used. People can have problems for extended amounts of time that aren't noticeable and then speed up. Many people with cancer are fine for years and then in 2 months, it progresses more than it did in 2 years.

I do not feel contracts should be mentioned right now as that is not what this thread is about.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't think anyone is trying to lay blame, just trying to make sense of it all. It's just that the findings don't seem to tie into each other, which is why people are asking. But again, having the answers will not bring him back...