Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The African Serval

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Yep- as Julie said, if you own a dog with a cat- that is always a possibility. Heck, anyone who owns ANY prey animal around a predator is risking potential injury/death (ie your kid's pet hamster and the family cat, for example!).

Oh yeah... forgot about my domestics (maine coon and shelter tabbie) who used to groom and cuddle my house bunny... ignore my ex haha the bunnie died of natural causes years later too, but it was still a risk as she hopped around the house.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338994685480.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338994685480.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30

Katniss

And her brother Crazy !
As a new mom of a Savannah F4, I do not see any danger of claws. I have both brother and sister and they play rough but never claw each other! Rather they try to chew on each others hind legs!! I do suggest trimming toenails as my feet have been clawed by accident on occasion!!

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
I have no problems with claws here, we keep them trimmed regularly. Except my blue f2. We have thought about putting sticky sand paper on our one door since she only likes to scratch there. Our others scratch on the posts. Is the sand paper a bad ideA?

admin

Paige
Staff member
what about getting some of the cat scratchers that can be taped or hang on a door.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
We have one of those, and we have moved it, she likes the corner of the door and the molding of the door. I could try nailing it to where she likes? I've considered the 1000 grit, it's what we wet sand cars with and it's super soft for sand paper, it only grazes into the clear ( we run a vw/audi/Porsche shop) so we have a ton of it so figure we could try it, but I didnt want to, I can't really clip her claws even when she is asleep. I try not to cross her overly sensitive behavior, she likes me enough to pat her back but can't get closer other than that. We feed her treats and with a two year old I need to find a solution to the sharp claws, I won't declaw her ever but I need something to reduce those daggers.

(ah this is serval thread, apolgies if we have a declaw thread, if not make one? :) :) )

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
So theoretically speaking, if I owned a serval, in a legal state and was fully aware of their potential behaviors, what suggestions would you give me.

I've always wanted one but seeing how PA is being a bit "moody" ( to be polite) I am not legally allowed to own them:( in our current home we aren't set up, but if starting from the ground up, what would serval owners recommend. Just curiosity because I would love to see if what I have read about thm is correct, I see some people who know nothing about them acquire them, and I hope that basking this question I can provide people with some inside information when it comes to raising these precious babies :)

A

adamcrssmn

So theoretically speaking, if I owned a serval, in a legal state and was fully aware of their potential behaviors, what suggestions would you give me.

I've always wanted one but seeing how PA is being a bit "moody" ( to be polite) I am not legally allowed to own them:( in our current home we aren't set up, but if starting from the ground up, what would serval owners recommend. Just curiosity because I would love to see if what I have read about thm is correct, I see some people who know nothing about them acquire them, and I hope that basking this question I can provide people with some inside information when it comes to raising these precious babies :)
I, too, live in PA, and "moody" is def putting it polite... :cautious: It makes me want to move to OH.