Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The danger of laundry hampers....

A

Alice

I thought I would post this here, as it would apply to pretty much anyone who has playful kitties and collapsible laundry hampers.
For whatever reason this morning I took my time getting ready for work and ran pretty late... I was getting ready and heard allot of commotion. I looking in the living room and my cat appeared to be playing being the couch with my laundry hamper from the night before, pouncing on it and making noise...
I went back to washing my face and a couple minutes later I heard a weird noise...... I went back in to investigate and my cat was in the middle of the room and had totally twisted the long fabric handle all the way around her neck. How on earth she managed it I still don't know...
So as soon as I saw her I knew what happened, so I immediately started untwisting the handle and got her free. I petted her awhile till she started purring, then I went and cut the handles and put it away.
So a word to the wise! Please watch out for your laundry hampers... :( Had I not been home or paying attention the story would have ended differently.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
Good warning! I will add a warning about the pop-up/collapsible type kennels you can buy at Walmart and other stores. I almost lost 2 kittens in one of these things. Was using one as a queen/kitten crate about 5 years ago. As the kittens got old enough to run around I would just leave it open and they would still sleep in there. Well they were in there and mom jumped up on it, only to have the thing completely fold up on the kittens. Mom freaked and was chewing and clawing at the mesh to get her babies out. Thank goodness I was home and found them in time.

spin_prod_656374701.jpg

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yikes! I've always avoided those popup crate things because of how likely mine are to jump on top of them...I envisioned exactly what happened to you, Lori :-( I have had those popup cubes for the cats to play in, and they always collapse them and I have to pop them back out...so I had a feeling as a crate or kennel they'd be a failure for my lot.

We always have to be paranoid for our cats, being on the high energy side, they tend to find trouble more easily I think :-(

mhardy12

Savannah Super Cat
I'll add my two cents in here also. Taz loooves shopping bags (Clothing store types). He crawls right in and lays down as much as he can. He stuck his head through one of the handles years ago, got freaked out and went running around the house like superman with his cape. It was hilarious to watch but scary also. No I always cut the handles off before I give him the bag to play in. Just a word to the wise about this.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
I'll add my two cents in here also. Taz loooves shopping bags (Clothing store types). He crawls right in and lays down as much as he can. He stuck his head through one of the handles years ago, got freaked out and went running around the house like superman with his cape. It was hilarious to watch but scary also. No I always cut the handles off before I give him the bag to play in. Just a word to the wise about this.

LOL we put them up immediately as they tend to attract the pee-ers. Don't know why but we have a few that love to use them as a litter box. yuck!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, that is a general tip for all cat owners, cut the handles off any bag you leave for cats to play in!

And yes, plastic bags especially can attract a cat to pee... I think cat ownership encourages one to be tidy, especially Savannah ownership! Now we put away bags as soon as they are emptied, all dirty laundry goes into solid hampers, clean laundry is folded and put away...

A

Alice

Yes that is so true!! My cat seems to LOVE my hamper and would stand on top of my couch or Ottoman and jump onto to to watch it collapse! Since she is an only cat I wasn't worried about her squishing anyone but never thought she would twist herself in the handle :( crazy cat!!
I am very careful with plastic bags, any cleaning supplies, etc and thought I had things covered... Lesson learned though.
I am indeed much more tidy now, whenever the clothes are washed then they get folded and put away else there will be cat fur everywhere :) she seems to like clean laundry much more than dirty... ;(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
LOL! They can always show us that we've forgotten something. We fix one danger and they find something else to make trouble with... never assume they won't work it out!

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
We cut the handles off. When we had Nyah only about a month, she crawled into the handle of a shopping bag in our teenager's room and got stuck. She took off scared, caused one heck of a commotion (this was 4amish, I believe), looking like a turtle. It would have been funny if she wasn't so scared. We finally got her to stop running so I could get the bag off of her. Ever since, handles off immediately just in case.