Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Demon under the Bed -- acclimating your new SV to your home

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Our little guy will be home in a few weeks! While we hope for loving bonding quickly this document is great! Thank you for putting you experience down on 'paper' for us!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Our little guy will be home in a few weeks! While we hope for loving bonding quickly this document is great! Thank you for putting you experience down on 'paper' for us!
You're very welcome. The same tips 'n tricks in that document serves well for any cat that is acclimating to a new home, not just the screaming demonic variety. I've always believed that we should attempt to see the situation from the cats' point of view as much as possible to get even a small glimmer of how unnerving a new environment can be, especially so for a species that doesn't like change. Moving into a new home is similar to being a child thrown into a foreign country who doesn't speak or understand the native language. They just need time to figure it all out.

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Some of the most frequent questions we get at SVcatchat are about acclimating a scared or unconfident or not properly socialized SV to its new home. The attached provides beginning steps for establishing a trusting relationship with your SV. Use it as a guide and continue asking questions and seeking advice on the forum. There are many people here who have used these tips 'n tricks to great success.
Hello, thank you I have only just managed to read this (I have pc problems at the moment and couldn't open the link from my phone) and it's brilliant. I wish I saw it before I had her. The first paragraph couldn't be a truer picture of my initial expectations and of her 'demonic' behavior - I had to laugh!! So helpful thanks again.

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
He is missing his mom and littermates...as Deborah said, TV or radio would be good...or they even have stuffed animals with music ;)
Thanks will try a radio tonight. He is chowing down right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Hi Lesley, I think the tv or radio really helps while I am out but definitely my clothes. I take a piece of whatever I have been wearing that day and put in on the floor or on my bed and she loves to roll around on it - hides her toys under it etc

J

jgerber622

Hello, I'm new to the site!
Is that PDF still available? I get an "oops" error page when I try to download it...
Thanks!

Advntrs1

Savannah Kitten
Hello, I'm new to the site!
Is that PDF still available? I get an "oops" error page when I try to download it...
Thanks!
I had this issue to and that is because your account is not confirmed. It is my understanding you don't get full access to the site until you contribute a donation of $25. You can contact the admin via contact us and let her know you will contribute and then once you have done so via paypal (Include user ID in notes), email again stating you completed it. VERY shortly afterwards you will have full access to the documents and other features. WELL WORTH IT, this site is invaluable!

~Kat~ Diego's Mom :)