Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Honest Kitchen

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
I decided to make a final attempt in getting Kovu to eat raw. We've tried almost every raw food I could find in my area. Some of them he'd nibble at, just to never touch again, and others he wouldn't even give the time of day. No matter how little I'd mix in his food, he KNEW it was there.

A local holistic pet store suggested Prowl, by The Honest Kitchen & gave me samples. Prowl is a dehydrated raw food. Kovu LOVES it. So much that we bought a box & has been eating nothing but Prowl for the last 2 weeks.

Someone mentioned to me that on the Prowl website it says it makes a great base for those who make their own raw cat food and asked if it had enough nutritional value to be served alone, or if it were meant to be served WITH raw food. The store didn't say anything about serving it with anything else.

Is anyone familiar with this food? I'm super stoked that he is finally eating this, but I want to make sure he is getting proper nutrition too.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/prowl/comment-page-14/#comments

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
The company's original intent was to release the product as a base for a raw food diet. Don't know why they changed their minds; maybe because contents meet AAFCO standards.

The protein content is low (32%) so feeding long term is not ideal and Kovu would need to eat another source of protein with a good balance of meat/organ/bone to get to the 50%+ daily protein that a carnivore should eat. Prowl has no organ meat and the usual assortment of veggies that reduces the protein level. Have you tried sprinkling the Prowl on other foods he may have previously rejected (and even those he liked) to see if that encourages him to eat a broader range of food?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I had Prowl and it is NOT to be used as an only source of diet...try mixing it with some canned food - something that has the protein and vitamins, taurine, etc., that cats need. You can add some Kitty Bloom or Mazuri as a supplement.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
The company's original intent was to release the product as a base for a raw food diet. Don't know why they changed their minds; maybe because contents meet AAFCO standards.

The protein content is low (32%) so feeding long term is not ideal and Kovu would need to eat another source of protein with a good balance of meat/organ/bone to get to the 50%+ daily protein that a carnivore should eat. Prowl has no organ meat and the usual assortment of veggies that reduces the protein level. Have you tried sprinkling the Prowl on other foods he may have previously rejected (and even those he liked) to see if that encourages him to eat a broader range of food?

On the box of food is says absolutely nothing about being used as a base or to mix with other foods. So I'm glad someone brought it to my attention. I mixed it with raw rabbit (Nature's Variety) & he is gobbling it up. His bowl was actually licked clean. Woo hoo. lol

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I'm happy he's gobbling up his food. One thing to be aware of with NV rabbit -- it's sourced in China which is notorious for lack of standards. If you get rabbit from the US, all the better. All of the other meats NV uses are U.S. sourced.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
I'm happy he's gobbling up his food. One thing to be aware of with NV rabbit -- it's sourced in China which is notorious for lack of standards. If you get rabbit from the US, all the better. All of the other meats NV uses are U.S. sourced.
I'll have to look around. Gosh that sucks about it being sourced in China. Uggghhhh, I feel like I cannot win! lol I'm glad I have you guys to inform me on this stuff tho! I'll have to look around & see if I can't find somewhere else locally that has rabbit. :/

admin

Paige
Staff member
Check Blue ridge Beef...I forget where you are located, but BRB has lots of distributors.

S

shelby

I decided to make a final attempt in getting Kovu to eat raw. We've tried almost every raw food I could find in my area. Some of them he'd nibble at, just to never touch again, and others he wouldn't even give the time of day. No matter how little I'd mix in his food, he KNEW it was there.

A local holistic pet store suggested Prowl, by The Honest Kitchen & gave me samples. Prowl is a dehydrated raw food. Kovu LOVES it. So much that we bought a box & has been eating nothing but Prowl for the last 2 weeks.

Someone mentioned to me that on the Prowl website it says it makes a great base for those who make their own raw cat food and asked if it had enough nutritional value to be served alone, or if it were meant to be served WITH raw food. The store didn't say anything about serving it with anything else.

Is anyone familiar with this food? I'm super stoked that he is finally eating this, but I want to make sure he is getting proper nutrition too.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/prowl/comment-page-14/#comments
I just took a look and it looks like the food has everything it needs to be a stand alone food. Make sure you add the warm water to hydrate it and rest assured the company states it can be the stand alone diet or used with a combination;>)

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
I just took a look and it looks like the food has everything it needs to be a stand alone food. Make sure you add the warm water to hydrate it and rest assured the company states it can be the stand alone diet or used with a combination;>)
I looked over the box last night, just to take one more look, and really didn't see anything that said it was just a base. It said you CAN add kibble or other meats, but it wasn't like you HAD to. Know what I mean? I did, however, get Kovu to eat it mixed with raw rabbit, so yay! :)