Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Thin kitten

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
I hope I'm not out of line since this is a SV forum. I know many of you have Bengals also. Dolos is now 12 wks. and much thinner than any kitten I have ever had. He's active, happy, tripled his size and a nice thick soft pelt, so he's not sick. Is it normal for Bengals to be slimmer than moggies at this age? He has be slim from day one, but I am just use to seeing slightly tubby kittens.

If it's not normal, suggestions to fatten him up? He always eats 2 cans of 5.5 oz. of canned food a day plus always has kibble.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Laura, I don't currently have a Bengal (did have a girl once), but at 12 weeks old and still growing, Dolos may indeed look "thinner" than moggies....I still cringe when people remark how "skinny" my cats are, instead of the long and lean they are (and should be!) And some Bengal lines are leaner than others. My girl was; she almost looked more Savannah than Bengal....:)

Can you feel his ribs and backbone? Do you mean that by "thin"? Or is he just lean? Have you asked your vet about your concerns? He may need more canned than he is currently eating. What kind of food are you feeding him?

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Actually, lean much better describes him. You can't see or feel his ribs or backbone. Both his parents had a heavier body, so I expect to see that in him maybe? I should probably try to get a picture to show what I see, but the little guy never slows down! lol

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Actually, lean much better describes him. You can't see or feel his ribs or backbone. Both his parents had a heavier body, so I expect to see that in him maybe? I should probably try to get a picture to show what I see, but the little guy never slows down! lol

Remember he is still very young...and growing! Lots of kittens---whatever the breed, or not---look wiry and rangy at that age :) If you can't feel ribs or backbone, then I would not worry. Ask your veterinarian what he or she thinks if you are concerned.

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Handed him to "The Man" and asked him if he could feel any ribs or back bone. His response was "honey, he has no bones! Can't feel anything but soft fur and flesh." Guess he's a happy active kitten.

Must admit, the vets around here are VCA or corporate owned and I know some of their Techs, and they admit that they order tests to drive up the revenue sometimes rather needed or not. They love me since I do and pay for anything to take care of my furkids if they are sick. Only one that is privately owned and even they want $130 just to neuter. Will be doing clinic for that, only $65.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Pam - if you can't feel his rib bones then he is probably just fine. I would love to see pics! And there is actually a forum for non-Savannah pics and videos :)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
He sounds a good weight and condition to me...sight unseen, lol! If he is active, healthy, eating and pooping normally, I think he is probably just fine! After he is neutered, he may gain the weight and heft of his parents, though I am assuming they are intact....

Yes, it's too bad some vet practices do that....all for the money :(

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Took a couple pix tonight, just before he woke up from a 5 minute nap. He's been playing for a solid 3 hrs tonight. Will download them tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies! I'm a worry wort.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Took a couple pix tonight, just before he woke up from a 5 minute nap. He's been playing for a solid 3 hrs tonight. Will download them tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies! I'm a worry wort.

We all worry about our babies :) You are a good mom...and looking forward to seeing pics tomorrow!