Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

To swim or not swim...?

cbain

Site Supporter
We have a pond for our 2 cats and it has running water and both cats enjoy batting the water as it runs over the rocks, the pond attracts frogs in the warm months from a nearby creek and when the cats approach the pond frogs dive in the pond and many times our cats hunting instinct will take over at the sight of something getting away from them and dive in and many times I hear a splash and see a Savannah alligator swimming in

the pond , it is course thick hard plastic and we don't declaw, so they can pull out from the edge of the pond or swim to the swallow end a jump out. The score for last summer was about 20 to 0 frogs won. The cats are in no danger in their pond but our Vet told us frogs can give the cats paracites if they eat them and the young cats will hone their hunting habits and to watch out. In my opinion if you make water interesting or anything else to a Savannah by their nature they will fallow it, but let the cat go at it's pace and no deep water that they can't get out off, we never put our cats in a situation they can't get out of.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think (and I'm guessing most Savannahs would agree) that a pond is the perfect way for them to enjoy water... however, many people have swimming pools and that is what the comment was directed at.

Here are pics of an outdoor enclosure that has a pool with falls - my ideal setup but I've never gotten around to creating anything even remotely close myself:

Sebastian 01.jpg Sebastian 02.jpg Sebastian 03.jpg Sebastian 04.jpg

cbain

Site Supporter
Hey Patti,
I agreed with your post before I posted about the pond, swimming pools are dangerous, my brother has a big in ground pool and he keeps it covered when it's not in use and the pool stays clean. I did like the pic's but the water fall would bring in raccoons with the sound of the water, I found out the hard way, I have a creek very close to the cat run with a lot of wildlife and a very large woods beside my house. I see in the pic's the trees beside the fence , and the plastic at the top, but our cats are not declawed and can climb trees and jump and the trees could be the escape to the woods, our male has gotten passed my wife during a door dart and he's hard to catch.

Last edited:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This enclosure was completely enclosed, including the roof - servals and savannahs lived in there. I never thought about the wildlife being attracted to the running water but it makes sense. This enclosure was in the middle of the city - not too much wildlife found there, although there is always the occasional coyote that goes strolling down the street... :eek:

cbain

Site Supporter
This enclosure was completely enclosed, including the roof - servals and savannahs lived in there. I never thought about the wildlife being attracted to the running water but it makes sense. This enclosure was in the middle of the city - not too much wildlife found there, although there is always the occasional coyote that goes strolling down the street... :eek:
What city is this serval and savannah enclosure in ? Cleveland Ohio zoo has a huge enclosure with trees but no roof due to the trees for the cheetahs , I remember well, a squirrel was in the enclosure in front of me and a cheetah went after it, close call for the squirrel that got up the tree but the cheetah hit the cyclone fence in front of me and went a good 6 foot up it with a big clang as I was stepping back. I put the pond in years ago with a water fall and the first night raccoons pulled the water line out and by morning the pond was trashed. We have a electric wire at the top of our cat run for small animals due raccoons.