Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

too hot to walk?

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
can it be too hot to walk our cats out doors? i assume since there is african wild cat in its blood, that the cat will not be phased by the heat. i notice severe panting/breathing sometimes and it worries me. wondering if anything bad can happen if its too hot?

i have tried to give him water but refuses to drink it. i have an expandable/collapsible rubber cup meant for dogs. i have yet to get him to drink

thanks

Per Lausund

Staff member
Careful with the heat, a cat being walked may overdo it, and no drinking is not synonymous with no need!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Savannahs are domestic cats, not wild animals that have been raised on th plains of Africa. Do not assume that because their ancestors survived in the heat that they can tolerate it any more than any other domestic cat. Tolerance to temperatures has much more to do with acclimation of an animal over time, rather than anything in its genetic makeup.

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
thanks for the responses. i understand they are a domestic breed of cat, however i was under the impression that an F2B meant that the cat is still 20-30% wild, with a grandparent being a serval? i guess i assumed that it would still carry serval traits including the resilience to heat. just didnt know how much of it, and if i should be worried about it. 25-30 degress C would be the absolute hottest id take him out doors just so we are on the same page of hot.

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
couldnt edit post, i see where you are coming from though. even the servals used in the breeding programs have acclimatized to an environment away from the high heat. so one cant assume this resilience is still high as they are generations removed from their natural habitat

admin

Paige
Staff member
Also the servals used in breeding programs have been raised here, not in Africa, so their tolerance for heat is significantly less...

wetcats

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Harp Read this thread and it seems to me there is a simple observation which could work here. You know that expression 'Dog days of Summer? It means it's so hot that the dogs are lying down-in the shade. When it's even 25C it's too hot for any cat I know----you will find them under bushes (outdoor cats) lying flat in any cool place. Right beside the hot dogs, trying to cool. I hope this helps.:)

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
awesome, thanks a bunch for the responses. i will not take atlas out for walks if its too hot. during the week its usually in the evening when i have time after work anyways. by then it starts to cool, weekends ill have to be more careful.