Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tritrich

DChap

Site Supporter
Soooo after many months of issues with Tojo not eating well, losing weight, REALLY stinky poo and gas yet normal results to all other tests, he has shown up positive for Tritrich. Kinda strange to me because he never has diarrhea (but I guess it's not a necessary symptom). I will be emailing his breeder to let her know. The medicine will be shipped to me and dosage is 1cc a day for 14 days per my vet. I read somewhere about some pretty scary side effects like possible neurological damage? Has anyone here treated with Ronidazole and had any problems or advice? I'm anxious to get him well and hopefully back to a raw diet someday.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow...i am so glad you got to the bottom of it finally.

They usually have cowpie stools, not necessarily diarrhea per se.

Your breeder will have to test her entire Cattery...at least i hope she will.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DChap

Site Supporter
I emailed my breeder but she has not responded yet. I never saw any cowpie stools either, but the smell is awful no matter what food he eats. The meds should be here by Friday. Its is an oral suspension that will be flavored like vanilla ice cream they said! Hope the treatment goes smoothly.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I emailed my breeder but she has not responded yet. I never saw any cowpie stools either, but the smell is awful no matter what food he eats. The meds should be here by Friday. Its is an oral suspension that will be flavored like vanilla ice cream they said! Hope the treatment goes smoothly.

The smell is what usually does it :( There are numerous threads on here about Tritrich and Ronidazole, which can have some nasty side effects...you will have to keep an eye on your baby...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I know that Anatole (Spidersweb Savannahs) had an issue with it and did a LOT of research so I would think he is a good source of info about the possible side-effects of the ronidazole. Your vet should be able to research to find the symptoms too that you need to look for... good luck!

At least now you know what was causing the smelly poop and can hope to resolve this and have Tojo well soon!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh and are there other cats in the household? I'd probably think about testing them too as if they share litterboxes... even asymptomatic cats...

DChap

Site Supporter
Thanks Brigitte. No other cats. We have a 5 year old Goldendoodle. They are best buds :)