Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

TYPE

Rylie

Diorcats
In the savannah world there is a lot of lingo that took me awhile to understand and still a few things that I would like to be more rehearsed on. To the untrained eye attempting to translate the type wording to image has been difficult to me. Often times I see a savannah I favor over another and have a general idea if it is standard or non-standard .. but for those of who are still not 100%, I was wondering if we could post a couple of pics of the following:

1. A very overall "typey" savannah
2. A perfect "head-piece"
3. Ideal "acreage" for spotting

Also do the terms standard and non-standard only apply to SBT generations as those are the only ones eligible anyway?

admin

Paige
Staff member
In the savannah world there is a lot of lingo that took me awhile to understand and still a few things that I would like to be more rehearsed on. To the untrained eye attempting to translate the type wording to image has been difficult to me. Often times I see a savannah I favor over another and have a general idea if it is standard or non-standard .. but for those of who are still not 100%, I was wondering if we could post a couple of pics of the following:

Also do the terms standard and non-standard only apply to SBT generations as those are the only ones eligible anyway?

Standard and non-standard apply to all Savannah's as far as I know - doesn't matter if they are going to be shown or not.

Trish Allearz

Standard and non-standard applies to all Savannahs, BUT actually- we use the terminology wrong often.

For example- I call a BST Savannah with white 'nonstandard' because it does not meet the criteria to show in the show hall. This color isn't actually nonstandard, but nonpermissible via TICA. A cat with extra toes on its feet, though, would be considered nonstandard. Therefore on TICA papers, I would not tick the 'NS' box for a Savannah with white (or a blue SV, etc).

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Rylie, you will likely find that there is variation between people on what they perceive as good type. People see different things looking at the same cat, we have slight biases... but I understand what you are having a problem with and we all went through that. For me, showing a Savannah or two really helped me analyze and see them properly. There's something about seeing them up there on the judge's table that removes you a little and makes you a little more analytical without your personal love for the cat influencing you so much I think!

Not sure we have too many "perfect" Savannahs, although my Nina comes close. Being 62.5% Serval makes it much easier for a cat to have the traits we want, LOL!

Patti

Admin
Staff member

I think you will find different 'interpretations' of the Standard depending upon who you ask - this is true for judges as well, which is why there is no such thing as a slam dunk (or rarely so) when one goes to a cat show. However, I believe that this adolescent is very close to the Standard in almost all points. This is Spotted Love Paprika, she is F3C (hopefully Leonard won't mind me sharing :- )
Spotted Love Paprika 01.jpg Spotted Love Paprika 02.jpg Spotted Love Paprika 03.jpg

Rylie

Diorcats
Standard and non-standard applies to all Savannahs, BUT actually- we use the terminology wrong often.

For example- I call a BST Savannah with white 'nonstandard' because it does not meet the criteria to show in the show hall. This color isn't actually nonstandard, but nonpermissible via TICA. A cat with extra toes on its feet, though, would be considered nonstandard. Therefore on TICA papers, I would not tick the 'NS' box for a Savannah with white (or a blue SV, etc).

A savannah with white? Pardon my naivety, but doesn't a serval have a white mask?

Rylie

Diorcats
I think you will find different 'interpretations' of the Standard depending upon who you ask - this is true for judges as well, which is why there is no such thing as a slam dunk (or rarely so) when one goes to a cat show. However, I believe that this adolescent is very close to the Standard in almost all points. This is Spotted Love Paprika, she is F3C (hopefully Leonard won't mind me sharing :- )
View attachment 141 View attachment 142 View attachment 143

Thanks for the examples! That is a beautiful cat!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
A savannah with white? Pardon my naivety, but doesn't a serval have a white mask?
Do you mean the white on the chin that a tabby usually has? That's not what we term "with white" in cat terms... what we mean when we say "with white" is a defined patch of white fur other than the whited chin and whited underside you can see in a spotted tabby for example...