Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Unusual behavior

Maggie

Savannah Teenager
We have. 2yr old F1. He has recently started standing up to pee on things. He has always peed in the box, toilets and sinks. Always squatting. I was told here that the sink peeing is common and instead of combatting it, we let him. We know he does it and clean regularly. This new development has us baffled. I know that any cat can sometimes pee where they shouldn’t, but it’s the standing part that I find odd. It is localized to 2 places, that we know of. One was a floor scratch pad (his favorite), the other is now our patio chairs. He isn’t spraying. Any thoughts?

Maggie

Savannah Teenager
I should clarify that he’s literally standing up, as in his front paws are on something, not just regular four leg standing.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I assume he is neutered? Is he still using the litter box as well? I would start by providing a larger litterbox and make sure it is uncovered. You can also try Cat Attract to encourage him to use the litter boxes. I have had a few cats that pee standing up as you describe, that behavior in and of itself is not concerning.

Maggie

Savannah Teenager
We have 3 large litter boxes. We have 3 cats (he’s the only F1) We keep them very clean. It’s recent.

Hippy

Site Supporter
Might not be related,
A friend of mine his cat started peeing on his bed out of the blue. Single cat 2 boxes (aways clean)
Took him to the vet and ended up having a UT infection or something to That affect.

I believe the cat was trying to say there was something wrong..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
There are so many things that could cause this change in behavior -- he may no longer like the type of litter, or the type of box, or the size of the box, or the location of the box. Absent any physical/health issues, you could start experimenting with changing any of the things I've mentioned to see if it helps. The fact that he's used to choosing a variety of locations could also be the culprit. Try adding some cat attractant to the top of the litter -- such as Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter, just a sprinkling on top of the regular litter. You could also try to retrain him to use only litter boxes by confining him in a room for a week or two and monitoring where he goes when he's free-roaming the house when you are home and using gentle scolding when he goes elsewhere than the box. My F1 occasionally likes to pee in the sink, particularly when the water is running, so I give him a sharp "no", turn off the water, and push him off the sink.