Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

USDA/APHIS - What is it...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I am seeing this rule that just went into effect and I am not sure how it is going to affect me... If I am seeing it correctly, it is saying that I actually have to meet my kitten face to face... Am I reading this correctly? If so, that is a major bummer...

I tried to do some internet research, but I feel that I am getting further lost with it.

I truly do not understand this or how it is supposed to benefit me as the person adopting?

John/MOC

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You can read all about it here in the discussions here http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-cat-legal-talk/

Your understanding of the ruling is correct in that it requires a face-to-face meet with potential kitten. The ruling doesn't stop there though so even though the amount of info in the discussions is daunting, please read through it. There are still questions about how these rules will be enforced.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
@John Campbell the rule did indeed go into effect Nov 18th. What this means is, IF your breeder has more than four breeding females AND he/she is not USDA licensed then yes, you must meet the kitten face to face to meet the rule's requirements. This could happen by you driving/flying to the breeder or the breeder flying/driving the kitten to you.

I imagine there are breeders who are ignoring this rule and continuing to ship. There has been an injunction filed against this rule calling it arbitrary, capricious, and inconsistent, and requesting a moratorium on its enforcement - only time will tell if the injunction will be successful or not...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
@John Campbell the rule did indeed go into effect Nov 18th. What this means is, IF your breeder has more than four breeding females AND he/she is not USDA licensed then yes, you must meet the kitten face to face to meet the rule's requirements. This could happen by you driving/flying to the breeder or the breeder flying/driving the kitten to you.

I imagine there are breeders who are ignoring this rule and continuing to ship. There has been an injunction filed against this rule calling it arbitrary, capricious, and inconsistent, and requesting a moratorium on its enforcement - only time will tell if the injunction will be successful or not...

Forgive the pun... "But there is more than one way to skin a cat..." LOL... Flying to the breeder that I am leaning towards the most is about a 7 hour drive for me... But working in the Airline Industry... I can always catch a plane... Not like it really cost me a lot if you know what I mean. Just thinking out loud... May be able to arrange for her to ride back in the Cockpit or even first class :) ... There is always a bright side to things.. You just have to look threw the fog sometimes...