Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vaccinations/ preventatives

Eric92

Savannah Child
I've been told and read many things saying savannahs can't have this or don't vaccinate for that.. is there anything they aren't allowed? Revolution kills f1s...

Rob1984

Savannah Super Cat
i think alot of owners here use revolution and i don't think their cat died where did you get that information?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
The FIP vaccine is not recommended, and feline leukemia only if your cat is going to be exposed to the outdoors. Savannahs are domestic cats so they need the same routine vaccines that all domestic cats receive. There is a debate as to whether you should use killed or modified live but I have known owners and breeders who have used both and have not heard of any adverse outcomes other than 3rd hand accounts that circulated years (actually decades) ago.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have had many issues with my kittens using modified live, so I no longer use it and only use killed vaccines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for commenting Paige, I only use killed myself. What kind of issues have you had with the modified live?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks for commenting Paige, I only use killed myself. What kind of issues have you had with the modified live?

One of my kittens had what they call limping kitten syndrome and almost died. He had a fever of 107 and was limping... Day after vaccine and had to be hospitalized.

Sonata had a first vaccine using ML, with vomiting and anorexia the day after. She needed meds to stop vomiting. Next vaccine was killed and she had no issues.

Those are just two issues, but they are recent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snakebike

Savannah Super Cat
Many years ago my first Savannah kitten was given a modified live vaccine and less than a day later his fever was so high and he became so sick I and the vet thought I would lose him. There is no other reason he could have become sick and had such a high fever but the modified live vaccine. I will never use one again.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for these anecdotes! I have always felt uncomfortable using ML vaccines but I had not heard any recent stories of adverse reactions until now.

Snakebike

Savannah Super Cat
No problem. The Savannah that I had vaccinated with a modified live was a long time ago so hopefully the modified live vaccine has been improved but I would not take that risk.

Elf

Savannah Super Cat
We use Revolution with our F3 and also used it when we had our F1 with no adverse reactions. (My little tortie does think that the two drops of liquid that goes on her tiny self comes straight from the bowels of hell though, and I am not even sure why but someday I am sure she will rip my eyes out over flea meds. lol)