Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vets around San Diego

Hina

Site Supporter
Hi guys,

So we took Sasha to the vet for the 72 hr checkup thing. There was no probs except that there's a minor eye infection. The vet and the clinic people seemed nice but I have a feeling that Sasha was the first Savannah they all met and interacted with. I would be a lil more comfortable if I knew the vet/clinic had other Savannahs.
So this is my question to people in SoCal - where do you take your previous babies? Please share.

ps: my poor boy is still confused about his name with me calling him Sasha and my husband insisting on Spotty

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If your vet was happy to see Sasha/Spotty and you were happy with the way they dealt with him, then I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about their lack of experience with the Savannah breed. My first Savannah was also the first one my vet had seen back in 2001... they learned with us! I honestly do not believe Savannahs need any special veterinary care, just GOOD veterinary care! The only issue I see is when a vet is scared of the cat for its "wild" appearance and hence doesn't treat the cat so well...or makes assumptions based on the "wild heritage"...in that case I'd advocate for a change in vet.

Hina

Site Supporter
Thanks Brigitte,

The vet and the clinic guys were nice, even Sasha seemed to approve of them but then he approves everyone who makes a fuss about him ! The only thing is that the vet was completely against raw food of any kind and a big advocate of canned ones. I must admit raw food is not something we are looking into except for the frozen kind from nature's variety or something like that.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Many vets are against raw feeding.... one of the vets at my hospital says that it is safer for them to advocate against it as they cannot trust that owners will understand the need to feed a balanced diet rather than just chicken breasts for example... nor pay attention to the issue of food spoilage. Kibble and canned are already supplemented and don't have the food spoilage issues.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Many vets are against raw food, it has nothing to do with whether they have experience with Savannahs or not. I agree with Brigitte, if Sasha liked the vet and folk there, and they seemed knowledgeable in general and treated you both well, no reason to look elsewhere.