Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Waking up all hours of the night/peeing in the tub!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would try feeding him with a syringe before placing a feeding tube. As Linda mentioned, most cats go bonkers for baby food (stage I only without any additives). It is really important that he stay hydrated so you can also give him water or (unflavored) Pedialyte with a syringe as well.

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
Hey guys. This morning he was doing much better. The vet isn't exactly sure what he has but we have started ruling things out. He is currently on a raw diet (chicken, organs, supplement, etc) she has strongly suggested we take him off of it. He has been munching on cooked chicken off and on today. Does anyone have a recommendation for a premium wet food that is very similar? It is going to be a struggle transitioning him. Thanks everyone!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
SO VRY GLAD he is doing better.
Some may disagree, but I feed my kids Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Chicken & Turkey in Tasty Gravy Grain-Free Canned Cat Food. It is the only one my kids will eat that is grain/gluten free, is not primarily by products and has no Carrageenan added.

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you!! I will try that canned food as well. Right now he is eating a little bit of dry kibble from taste of the wild and he ate about a half of an organic cooked chicken breast tonight.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Any diarrhea or vomiting or is that over? If he is still having issues, you may want to try either the baby food or the bland boiled chicken with rice until it resolves.

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
The diarrhea and vomiting is over.. my vet strongly suggests to keep him off the raw diet. Now it will just have to be pick and choose food until he eats it. He is not happy about not getting his raw meat at all. He is still eating boiled chicken and a ton of it.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
The diarrhea and vomiting is over.
Whew! Glad to hear that. While I understand your vet's caution about raw food, I don't see how he can recommend changing the diet if there weren't any tests run to determine the cause of the vomiting and diarrhea. If you are not feeding a balanced raw diet, the cat could develop problems. If you aren't diligent about feeding only fresh food, the cat could develop problems. But it seems more than coincidence that your boy became ill after undergoing a surgical procedure at the vets. Whose to say, without proof of test results, that the cause was food rather than something he was exposed to and developed an infection from?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
So happy to hear that your baby is on the mend. I agree with WW. Vets are quick to say that raw is the problem, but if they don't have proof they are just pointing fingers. My girl went through something quite similar last year. The vet immediately said she has salmonella, but when they tested her there was nothing. I think she just caught something, and she was under the weather before so her immune system was already compromised. Your baby's immune system would have been compromised from the surgery, making him susceptible to anything.

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
Well everything was going great but now we are backtracking in problems. I haven't been feeding Riddick my grind of raw food. I found a brand called Primal freeze dried raw that he would actually eat. This is after spending a few hundred dollars on all sorts of cat food. He ate this for about 4-5 days and seemed to really like it. Yesterday and today he has been throwing up what looks like vile with hair in it. He also hasn't been eating the food anymore. This morning I gave him a chicken thigh and he ate that but seemed to have a hard time swallowing it. Today when I got home, I gave him a little chicken treat and he ate it and about 5 min later went and threw it up. He seems to still have energy and is hungry but I don't know what the deal is. Is it time for another vet visit you think?