Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Walking Savannah's Outside/Behavior as a Result

A lot of great ideas here !!! I would like to start walking Zeus and Abu, but will cross that bridge a little bit later ... There are a couple of things that may prevent me though ... I live a large community or development if you will and seems like we have a constant stream of people walking their dogs. So if I do, I will probably have to take them out either very early or very late. The other concern I have is that Shadow my female domestic is an inside outside cat ... Has been for 5 years. She is still too way of an active cat for that to change. I'm just worried that her example of going in an out, going for walks maybe a combination that leads to door dashing :(

Spartacus

Savannah Super Cat
Pixel and Kato are leash trained. Kato took it well, but Pixel is the jumper, and really bolts like lightning.
Kato needs the leash because he is completely fearless around cars.

They have a cat wheel and 6ft cat tree to play on...and the walks help too.

We take walks in the morning and evening...one at a time. I've tried to establish 'group walks' but they still go off in different directions. ;-) Also, Pixel is easily spooked; car doors slamming, big truck noises and such just send him into full afterburner runs ... but the walks have shown him where his home is, so he goes straight for "his" door.

Both cats are 'chipped'. Pixel went awol at one point, and the chip allowed him to be recovered. Highly recommended.

The key to leash training is to start inside. Let 'em play with the leash and harness first, before trying to put them on. This allows them to put their markers on the new toys...
Harness only, at first. There will be struggles...and once in place, they may fall over, lie down or stagger around, off balance until they get used to the feel. Once used to the harness, add the leash, inside, and follow them around to let them feel the differences.
Once they are okay with the leash & harness, venture outside during a quiet time...

The goal is to establish that the harness and leash are the only way they can go out.
Harness and leash in place first, then go out and bounce around.
Remember that they generally will NOT walk like a dog..Spartacus will lead, starting and stopping as he wishes, and probably not in a straight line. ;-)

Enjoy!
Thank you so much for your input, and the chip is such a great idea that we have already spoken about.

Spartacus

Savannah Super Cat
I'm a fan of the putting the cat in the carrier to take outside on leash concept, here in our house we also take them out via our garage so we carry them into the garage and go out that way....so they don't associate our front door with going out. And if they doordart into the garage we just have to catch them in there and put back, they can't get out of there.

I think the cats that door dart though, will do it whether or not they are walked. I actually think those are the cats that owners decide need to be leash walked because of that behavior...cats that don't seem as curious about the outside world the owners figure don't want to go out there.

I think we are definitely going to pick him up to take him outside, and we may even do it through the garage as that is a a great idea. Generally that is where we go in and out of the house anyways. It is just when we have guests, grilling or I am watering the yard that we use our front and back door. We have also decided to have an enclosure put in on our back patio. This will make us feel a lot better and will give Spartacus more outside time.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!

Right now is not an issue, he is aware of outside, but not interested in. In time I will train him about doors.

If I do end up taking the boys out for walks, I like the idea of carrying him / them (if I can manage 2 at once) out through the garage in cat carriers. I'm not sold on the idea of waking them however... It sounded like would be cool at first, but Marylin definitely gave me food for thought when she was here. If it makes things more peaceful, I have no concerns with forgoing the walking.

I have a huge basement that is just waiting to be turned into a kitty playground ... Including an over priced kids swimming pool on an axel (cat wheel).

I will chip the boys, and have put some serious thought in getting them each a radio transmitter caller or a gps collar. They are getting to point technology wise were they are small enough for a savannah to wear comortably. This would give me peace of mind that even if the worst happened and one of them did get out ... that I would be able to track down quickly. With the gps unit you can pay a monthly "monitoring" fee. If your pets pass a perimeter you define the company will notify you immediately. The fee is nominal when compared to our initial investment into our companions and in my opinion worth it.

I want my boys to be around for a good long time :).

Kristine

I do not believe in walking my cats. I know I am in the minority among breeders and owners, but my theory is that I never want my cats to know what outside is unless it is outside in an enclosure behind a door and proper "fencing". I have allowed only my certified therapy cats to be out on leash and that is only within a hospital/nursing home/residential care facility. I would rather my cats view the inside world as their domain than the outside world.

Cindy Lowther

Savannah Super Cat
I think its so funny how they can find water fun and enjoyable, but spray them once or twice with a squirt bottle when they are being naughty and they learn pretty quick. LOL!
It's like the dog hanging his head out the window loving the air blowing in his face, but blow in his face one time and he goes nuts ;)....(course maybe it depends on what you had for lunch :D)

Ssparrow

Savannah Teenager
I found that my sv likes to go walking at dusk. In any weather. If I take him out in the afternoon I end up carrying him most of the way. I built a strong trust with my sv and he knows his always safe with me. So I take him all over. Even in our 4th of July parade. He's always ready for an adventure.