Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What Effect Catnip

L

Louie'sDad

I don't know anything about catnip. I see that it comes in various forms: liquid drops, ground up oregano like leaves, and within toys.

When toys contain catnip, how is it contained? Is it scented, infused, or does the toy contain some flakes inside of it?

What effect do the various types have on your Savannah? Does it cause your cat to become dopey, like alcohol or marijuana, or does it cause more of a coke high? It keeps the cat focused on his toy and intensely engaged with it, but are the secondary effects causing hyperactivity, which one would want to avoid, especially in the evening?

D

DocMac

I grow my catnip outside my back door and its still there despite 7 degrees last week. I dry it and sew it inside muslin to put in cat toys. I also make a catnip tea and soak the cloth toys in it for two hours, then air dry. I don't let them eat it outright, but just sniff it. Some like it, some don't. I don't think it has any deleterious nor residual effects on my cats if permitted limited access and used as a treat.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
One of mine is immune to catnip -- has no affect whatsoever. One gets very mellow, starts to purr & drool and wants major snuggling. One goes crazy, becomes more hyper than he normally is which is saying a lot, and his feet don't touch the ground for at least an hour after he's had a good whiff. Mostly I have toys that are stuffed with it but sometimes I buy the dried leaves and scatter them on the floor.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
That stuff is a weed! Plant just one plant, and boom! This stuff is all over the place. And first thing when the cats go out the door in the summer is to head over to the nip patches. Mine go Batsh*t when it hits the blood stream. They sniff it, chew it, roll on it. It's a hallucinogen to them. They really lose their composure and get hyper playful and hyper friendly. They usually forget the claws hurt humans during the trip. Then after a half hour or so they go off on the nod and take a nap.
I get a good crop every year now that it has spread like dandelions. I strip off the leaves in the fall and put them in a bucket and put it in a dark, very dry place. Let it dry for a few months. Then all you have to do is crunch it up and you have a bag of fresh catnip. Avoid the cats when you crunch it until you have washed your hands completely. Or you will have bloody hands and other body parts when they get a good wiff of it.
I don't think it's harmful, or I would have had a lot of sick cats over the years. I know some cats do not react, but I have yet to see one of the exceptions.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Chemically, it's much healthier than what drugs do for people. Catnip triggers a chemical response that provides an euphoria in some cats, or acts as a stimulant in others. The cat is producing these chemicals within its body, much like we would respond with adrenaline, it's similar with them from the medical diaries I've read. Most cats are going to be over the effects after 20 minutes (or less) and will be immune to repeat exposure for a period of half a day to two days. As far as becoming "addicts," the receptors shut off after exposure so they are not running around on an adrenaline like high all day. They do that enough on their own. ;)

L

Louie'sDad

OK, so all cats react differently. That's interesting. So that means there's no consensus as to keeping it away from very active cats like Savannahs.
As I said, I have no prior experience with the stuff, and all I can say, for sure, is that the stuffed mouse that's catnip treated is his favorite. He focuses on it and plays with it for long periods before losing interest. He doesn't SEEM to get unduly revved up with the weed, and I'm concerned about any residual effects...............like continued hyperactivity once the stimulus is removed. I'll have to observe for myself.
Please continue the comments, as this is an interesting topic.

BTW: I have no concerns over the safety of the herb/weed. I am concerned that it may cause my guy to bounce off the walls, possibly if exposed to different forms/strengths of the stuff. He absolutely does NOT drool, foam, or become lethargic.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Louie, let me put it this way. You like some Johnnie Walker every now and then? Your cat will like a hit every now and then. Once they get a good buzz going, they back off of it.

L

Louie'sDad

Thanks for the responses.
The main question is answered: that it's not taboo for SV's...............like whiskey was (is) for Indians.