Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What my cat chews and swallows

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
my 5 year old female has started peeing in my house. On carpet in the corners of my den. I just moved into a brand new house and it’s not like she is going to a previous spot that has been peed on.
Any thoughts as to why she would do this?

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
Maybe she’s marking to make it her place. I was very worried a couple of months ago when I went to visit my cousin for a month in a house they didn’t know 4 hrs from home. It took so much planning ahead of time because I was worried while not destructive at home they might destroy something in her home. I duplicated everything we had here. Even the litter boxes. But I took some of their used litter to add to the new boxes. The wing of the house Ivwas staying in was quite large so I got dozens of cardboard scratching boxes that I put in every room. They use them at home to scratch. I took all their bedding with me. Got another fountain water dish like the one at home.
Did not have to get cat trees because the new sitting shelves that have suction cups I attached to a room (!like a greenhouse roomed ) worked great on the windows. But I think it was the items I took from home with their scent and the dirty litter that worked the best. They settled right in and there were no problems. It was a lot of work- like setting up a new home for them, but worth it.
1cc683049346122f3436c3de2a4e827b.jpg
5e85e3fa7dd212eae38340fdcf3be765.jpg
80a4b0baf636ab30dca9ebe21ae805cb.jpg
6b12726ea4e7e4756b5a16c4895df71f.jpg
e40d4df27e0b5239cbefa7f6524fc204.jpg
8a8f906dda4be562417002c1a4ea3530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
Maybe she’s marking to make it her place. I was very worried a couple of months ago when I went to visit my cousin for a month in a house they didn’t know 4 hrs from home. It took so much planning ahead of time because I was worried while not destructive at home they might destroy something in her home. I duplicated everything we had here. Even the litter boxes. But I took some of their used litter to add to the new boxes. The wing of the house Ivwas staying in was quite large so I got dozens of cardboard scratching boxes that I put in every room. They use them at home to scratch. I took all their bedding with me. Got another fountain water dish like the one at home.
Did not have to get cat trees because the new sitting shelves that have suction cups I attached to a room (!like a greenhouse roomed ) worked great on the windows. But I think it was the items I took from home with their scent and the dirty litter that worked the best. They settled right in and there were no problems. It was a lot of work- like setting up a new home for them, but worth it.
1cc683049346122f3436c3de2a4e827b.jpg
5e85e3fa7dd212eae38340fdcf3be765.jpg
80a4b0baf636ab30dca9ebe21ae805cb.jpg
6b12726ea4e7e4756b5a16c4895df71f.jpg
e40d4df27e0b5239cbefa7f6524fc204.jpg
8a8f906dda4be562417002c1a4ea3530.jpg

Wow you have your hands full!! I love those window beds with the suction cups.
I moved from a one story to a 2 story and thinking back I probably should have put a litter box upstairs in the game room which is where she started marking. And still have one downstairs too. Thanks for your input.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
First thing to do is get her checked at the vet -- could be a UTI. Could be anxiety from the move. Could be that there's free roaming cats in the neighborhood that are coming on your property. Could be she doesn't like the location of her litter box. I assume you have more than 1 box in different quiet locations in the house.

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
I think putting another litter box upstairs is a wise decision. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you. The feliway products I heard was good. One thing I did’t mention was my cat has to be sedated to have his claws clipped. My vet tried and she said his stress level was so high he involuntary had a BM and when they’re e that stressed it dangerous for the cats health. She gives me gababentin to give to him. Last month I tried clipping useing the” calm collar “.It made him very chill most of the day but I did’t get every claw as it’s not a sedative and he starting stressing out so I gave him gabapentin after all. You might considering getting a calm collar for her since moving into a new place is one of the greatest sources of stress for all us mammals. So I You could probably use it yourself but not made for humans. Lol I was very impressed how well the calm collar just made him chill.and it is made with all natural botanical ingredients and is not expensive. I think it was $17. Btw on my trip I took my cats on it was the worse idea I ever had. It was like traveling with infant triplets. It’s also very expensive literally setting up a duplicate place for them. Another expense was I did not take my litter robots so I purchased 2 ModCat litter boxes which aren’t that cheap either for her house. I was hoping they would use the top entrance to minimize litter tracking but they didn’t like it set up that way so I had to set it up for front entry. You can see the top of it in the pictures of them on sitting in the window seats they work great and are huge with largest entry I’ve ever seen. They are good looking too. Check out their ModCat website. I have an extra one now and if you live in my area, North Jersey I’ll give it to you. As for the window seats they are inexpensive and easy to set up. Held the weight of my 20lb Maine Coon. So if you like them they hold up very well. I plan on getting more and stagger them so they can use them like steps and they look much better than a cat tree and take up no space.

Last edited:

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
First thing to do is get her checked at the vet -- could be a UTI. Could be anxiety from the move. Could be that there's free roaming cats in the neighborhood that are coming on your property. Could be she doesn't like the location of her litter box. I assume you have more than 1 box in different quiet locations in the house.
That’s great info. I do think I need an extra litter box upstairs. Thank you!!

LuraLisa

Savannah Super Cat
I think putting another litter box upstairs is a wise decision. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you. The feliway products I heard was good. One thing I did’t mention was my cat has to be sedated to have his claws clipped. My vet tried and she said his stress level was so high he involuntary had a BM and when they’re e that stressed it dangerous for the cats health. She gives me gababentin to give to him. Last month I tried clipping useing the” calm collar “.It made him very chill most of the day but I did’t get every claw as it’s not a sedative and he starting stressing out so I gave him gabapentin after all. You might considering getting a calm collar for her since moving into a new place is one of the greatest sources of stress for all us mammals. So I You could probably use it yourself but not made for humans. Lol I was very impressed how well the calm collar just made him chill.and it is made with all natural botanical ingredients and is not expensive. I think it was $17. Btw on my trip I took my cats on it was the worse idea I ever had. It was like traveling with infant triplets. It’s also very expensive literally setting up a duplicate place for them. Another expense was I did not take my litter robots so I purchased 2 ModCat litter boxes which aren’t that cheap either for her house. I was hoping they would use the top entrance to minimize litter tracking but they didn’t like it set up that way so I had to set it up for front entry. You can see the top of it in the pictures of them on sitting in the window seats they work great and are huge with largest entry I’ve ever seen. They are good looking too. Check out their ModCat website. I have an extra one now and if you live in my area, North Jersey I’ll give it to you. As for the window seats they are inexpensive and easy to set up. Held the weight of my 20lb Maine Coon. So if you like them they hold up very well. I plan on getting more and stagger them so they can use them like steps and they look much better than a cat tree and take up no space.

Every time I take my Savannah to the vet which hasn’t been but a few times they have to sedate her because she gets wild. So I won’t take her unless something is really serious. And she has a calming collar but I spent $30. Where did you get one for $17? But even with that she won’t let me trim her nails. But the good thing is she uses a scratch pad and not my furniture. And I’m definitely going to look into those window seats. I live in Alabama or I would take you up on the one you have. Thanks for the info. It sounds like you should get the mommy of the year award with all that you do and have for your babies ❤️❤️

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi, just a suggestion, Beaphar calming spot on for cats is very good, it's made with Valerian, each pipette lasts a week, usually 3in a box.