Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What Savannah is right for me?

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
So I am new to this forum and I made a long intro the other day in intros if you want to know more about me besides what I put here….:) But I am interested in adding a savannah to my little family one day soon and would LOVE some advice… Because I am sort of lost. I know A LOT about bengals and EG bengals and I know savannahs are a lot like bengals.. But I am still not entirely sure what way to go about what generation of savannah or if I should get male or female? Would a earlier generation or an SBT work better? Or would it not matter?

I knew to stay away from EG bengals because they do not fit my lifestyle, like not using the litter box faithfully or not handling change well at all. So that's why I went with an SBT bengal knowing they adapt to change much easier and being a senior in college I knew I would be going different places. My bengal is a year old and goes everywhere with me, I love being active with my fur kids like going on walks and such. If I go stay the night at my boyfriends family both him and my dog goes with, and they love it. Also he will even go to many classes with me (animal science major) and loves that too.

So I would love to add a savannah to my little family to be a feline buddy to my bengal but also my dog is obsessed (in a good way) with cats.. She always wants to play with the bengal but eventually the bengal gets tired of it, I personally think I have a pretty lazy bengal. So I think an active savannah would be a good fit for both of my babies. I should also mention my bengal and dog play pretty rough together, it never escalates too far but just gets a little rough.

Soooo after all of that I would really like to know if a male or female would be best and what generation do you think would work best for us or what should we stay away from? Like Do EG savannahs handle change well? Do they like meeting new people and being in new situations? Are they faithful going in a litter box? I know a lot of it has to do with socialization, which it would get a lot of but I didn't know if owners or breeders here would have any good recommendations. And I want to provide an amazing home for one of these amazing cats but don't want to add one that wouldn't be happy with my lifestyle. Any advice is welcome!! :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Personally, I think if you are going to be moving a lot you should consider a later generation Savannah - as a rule, F1s, and some F2s can find moving difficult, although I will say that I've brought in an adult F1 and she felt at home after 24 hrs.

As you've already mentioned, socialization will have a lot to do with how well a kitten will adjust to you, your Bengal, and your dog. I don't think the registration code really matters (A, B, C, SBT) when looking for a pet; if you see a kitten that tugs on your heart strings contact the breeder and discuss your situation with them. They will be the best person to know if a particular kitten will do well with frequent changes and new environments. I have had different personalities emerge in siblings from the same litter, so although Savannahs in general are friendly, curious, and outgoing cats, there can always be an exception.

As for male vs. female - the boys tend to be more laid back and the girls more feisty and prone to get into mischief. In general there are no more litter box issues with Savannahs of any generation than with any other breed of cat (which btw is the #1 reason cats - of any breed - are surrendered).

Good luck with your search for a Savannah to add to your family, I'm sure you'll find the perfect companion for your household!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Patti that in general a later generation Savannah is going to be more adaptable to changes... F1s in general (and some F2s) just grow up to dislike changes to their routine which means new people and new situations... an F3 or later is likely to enjoy the moves and new situations more.

Then as said, it comes down to the individual kitten. My advice is to choose the breeder as someone you communicate well with so can make sure they tell you more about the kitten's personality to make sure it fits your lifestyle. You want a kitten that is outgoing and social like your Bengal kitty so that it enjoys going out for walks with you and over to your boyfriend's place etc. It likely means you need a breeder that might keep kittens longer before placing them, some breeders insist on the choice being made practically at birth while others like to keep kittens to evaluate before offering them...which latter situation would make it easier to judge their budding personality for your needs.

Good luck finding the right kitten!

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
Wow sorry! I kind of been out of it lately with the start of classes and getting back into a routine.. But thank you for the responses!! :)

I agree I was thinking a later generation would be a better idea for my situation… I feel better having people so experienced with the breed reassure me of that though. So thank you again! :up: Now like you said Brigitte I need to find a breeder that I communicate well with and can trust to help me with such a decision. I hope I find it! When I got Bagheera my breeder was very helpful in the beginning but I had to choose or pass on Bagheera quickly and then it became more impersonal as time went on and personality wasn't talked about often even though I asked in every email. I had to work with him a lot but it all worked out thankfully :)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Also, when choosing an SV, remember that not all generations are legal in a state or even within different areas of a state. So you'll either be restricted to moving where they are legal, or you'll have to make arrangements for someone to take the cat, which is not optimal.

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
Very true! I will be getting an F3 or later (most likely later). But I am one of those who would never give up my fur kids for any reason. I agree definitely not optimal. I wouldn't move to that state if it came to that. I can't stand seeing where someone says I have to move and can't take my animals with me. It's not right in my opinion. But when I said I would be moving I meant more about while in college, like for my internship this summer and within the state of Indiana. I will have an internship this summer in Indianapolis and am more than 99% sure I will be moving to Indianapolis after I graduate. That or Chicago… It was a good thing to point out though and keep in mind.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Using a Breeder off this forum could save a lot of angst & heart break, please take the time to read the spots about "Bad" Breeders & know you don't have to live down the road from a Breeder to get a great kitten, you just have to be willing to do your homework, and ask lots of questions to & about the one you do choose; I picked the Breeder I used months before contacting her :in love: because I saw & played with living examples of her fur babies...& I heard first hand great reviews from past customers. Some people say "Well it's just a cat :cat:", no it's an ~20 year investment in a companion you are going to happily pay a vet to keep healthy for that ~20 years & food OMG....FOOD! :alien:.... I hate shopping but love talking to intelligent people hence :ninja:Eddie in a crock pot on Christmas Day.... Oh & you are right your Bengal sounds low energy, but that could be good for any SV you bring in. Happy shopping! :p

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
I completely agree! and thank you for the advice! :up: I believe I will be using a breeder off this forum for the exact reason you said, to save me a lot of angst and heart break.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
I completely agree! and thank you for the advice! :up: I believe I will be using a breeder off this forum for the exact reason you said, to save me a lot of angst and heart break.
Then you will end up with the perfect fur baby for your family; Eddie jumps from the floor to the top of the fridge; opens doors, turns the lights on & off (he just learned this one), flies Ninja style around the house (runs up the wall then jumps up onto the kitty shelves/fridge/top of the windows, etc...), he is the clown in my life. As for late generations; he is an F5. Remember to Microchip your babies if it's not already done.

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
To me, a well socialized F2 is right at the sweet spot for my tastes. A lot of servally attributes, good size, but tame and loving IF socialized properly.