Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What to do???!!!

My domestic female "shadow" aka the "witch". Has Zues completely cowed and relentlessly chases him under my bed. She has now started in on Abu. I'm not sure if Abu will react the same way, quite frankly he could kick her butt in about 2 seconds flat if he has the nerve. Actually Zeus could as well, I've seen him and Abu wrestle. But that is beside the point.

I'll be damned if I'm going to have my two savannahs confined to hanging out under my bed because miss holier than thou ... well I'm running out of ideas. I thought things would change once Abu was introduced to the picture and Zeus quit trying to wrestle with her cause he had no one else to play with.

So since last night and for the next 2 weeks, she has just earned a stay in the recently vacated quarantine room. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm hoping that giving the other cats free reign of the house for a couple of weeks will allow them to become familiar with the house and gain confidence that this is their house. At the same time, I'm hoping the confinement will nock shadow down a peg or two. While she is confined she will have just as much attention from me and the kids as she has had prior, if not more. So I'm hoping this won't cause a negative reaction in her.

Your thoughts, as always, are appreciated.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
That may help or happen again when you let her out. She is establishing some sort of dominance. Good thing to let her know that isn't okay to do that. A spray bottle or rattle can with a firm "No, cut that out" and put her in time out may work. The others are youngsters, right? They may turn the table on her later when they see through her ruse. Often, a cat sensing they are outnumbered or insecure will act like this until the others figure out what is going on then the tables will turn. Could be worse! I had an F2 that was very much the villain until all my cats started chasing her instead when they got older. It got so bad that she would sleep in a drawer in the kitchen! I finally had to find her another home. Shadow is establishing that she is in charge which may be a defense for feeling insecure? I have heard that the calming collars work for periods of time? I think Sargent makes them?

That may help or happen again when you let her out. She is establishing some sort of dominance. Good thing to let her know that isn't okay to do that. A spray bottle or rattle can with a firm "No, cut that out" and put her in time out may work. The others are youngsters, right? They may turn the table on her later when they see through her ruse. Often, a cat sensing they are outnumbered or insecure will act like this until the others figure out what is going on then the tables will turn. Could be worse! I had an F2 that was very much the villain until all my cats started chasing her instead when they got older. It got so bad that she would sleep in a drawer in the kitchen! I finally had to find her another home. Shadow is establishing that she is in charge which may be a defense for feeling insecure? I have heard that the calming collars work for periods of time? I think Sargent makes them?

Shadow has lived with us for four years now (since she was a kitten). I have another male besides the boys. He was the dominant cat though he didn't take it to extremes. Prior to Zeus coming home, she used to sleep in my bed with me every night. Well she had the run of the house. That came to a screeching halt because I quarantined Zeus in my room. Zeus also tried to play with her at first, wrestle, but she didn't want any of that either. Maybe there are too many males in the house for her. Maybe she doesn't want to be low cat on the totem pole to so many cats. I don't know.

I'll try some of the calming options available out there and see if that helps.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
oh, I understand. It is a complete PAIN. You want your home to be a restful place and it is frustrating because of this and the cats aren't happy either.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Please don't get me wrong. I love shadow alot, I'm just frustrated and want peace in my house. :(

rob, try the feliway collar...hopefully this will all get sorted out. Remember, she was there first...and now you have brought in a kitten on top of the other two males. It may take her some time, but I know you will be patient.

Trish Allearz

It's hard and it's frustrating to see one cat pick on the others... I have that with Cole- except Cole is super mellow since he's our Selkirk Rex. In fact, half the time- you don't know if he's dead or alive on the countertop until you shake him ;) That's how mellow he is! But the F1s HATE him. I mean- they HATE him. Simon can be okay with him, but may take issue from time to time- JB and Ava want to hunt him and make a curly black coat with him. And it DOES make me angry because I want to protect Cole! Now, no one has been hurt, but I don't care for the bullying. I tend to separate them when it gets too bad and it cools back down.

In this situation, personally- I'd wait it out a bit and see how Abu deals with her. He wasn't cowed by ANYONE in this house- anyone. So I wouldn't be surprised if at first, he acts cowed and then he's like, screw this!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Modified approach, get feliway collar, still confine Shadow for a couple of days (cool down time and time to let boys get comfortable in house (learn escape routes if need be)).

If that doesn't work, Shadow's new time out will be basement (full basement, more room and where she prefers to spend most of her time anyways). I always seperate the cats whenever there is an issue, and will continue to do so.

Abu is twice the size of Shadow, and I don't think he will take much guff from her. He had no problem standing up to Percy (alpha male (prolly soon to be ex alpha male)). I will give them time and patience. Things will work out one way or another.

M

MK Anderson

It's hard and it's frustrating to see one cat pick on the others... I have that with Cole- except Cole is super mellow since he's our Selkirk Rex. In fact, half the time- you don't know if he's dead or alive on the countertop until you shake him ;) That's how mellow he is! But the F1s HATE him. I mean- they HATE him. Simon can be okay with him, but may take issue from time to time- JB and Ava want to hunt him and make a curly black coat with him. And it DOES make me angry because I want to protect Cole! Now, no one has been hurt, but I don't care for the bullying. I tend to separate them when it gets too bad and it cools back down.

In this situation, personally- I'd wait it out a bit and see how Abu deals with her. He wasn't cowed by ANYONE in this house- anyone. So I wouldn't be surprised if at first, he acts cowed and then he's like, screw this!
I have to agree with Trish! I too have the problem here too and do what Trish does. We have good day and bad day, but I notice in the last 3weeks things have gotten better. Hang in there, I think it will get better.