Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What to do???

Sandi

Savannah Kitten
I have a one and half year old, male. My problems with him are as follows. 1) He has to be around me always, If I go out in the yard the garage what ever he goes screaming till I come back. 2) When he has to use the litter box he screams until I go with him and have to wait until he has finished, if I leave before he finished he comes out screaming at me. 2) At night he goes out to the screen room, If I don't go with him and sit there and come back into the house he will follow me and proceed to wreck the place until I go back out with him. 4) When I get home after working an 12 hour shift at 11pm and have to get up at 5 AM to go back to work, He will go crazy because I don't have time to go outside with him. 5) He has every toy I can find for him he has a 10 foot high cat walk all around the house, and with all that within 1 to 2 days hes bored with everything. 6) He will go out to the kitchen and bang his bowls til I feed him, right away, If not he will bang them together until they brake. He eats 3 to 4 times a day. Everything in the house is glued down so he cant break any more vases and what ever else. I will repeat doesn't matter how much I play with him very soon he will become bored... Any advice will be appreciated ....
Sandi

Trish Allearz

Some kittens/cats are more demanding then others in regard to attention... I'd highly recommend looking into getting a friend for your boy- he sounds very very bored and as much as it might scare you that you'll have two attention demanding kitties- they'll spend a lot of time playing and interacting with one another.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Sandi, you have described a bored (and lonely) cat very well. Do you have any other cats or pets to keep him company? Have you tried leaving the TV on for him while you are at work; there are many good cat videos available. Does he have cat trees in addition to the walkway? Have you considered a cat wheel for him? Can he look out windows to see birds (with a birdfeeder in sight); an aquarium, a cat safe outdoor enclosure; taking him for walks on a well-fitting walking jacket, etc.

You have to look at this from your boy's point of view: you are gone half the day, and he is home alone, and wanting your attention when you return and has no concept of the idea that you are soon going to bed and will be leaving again in several hours. Do you have days that you don't work 12 hours?

Have you considered another companion for him? What generation is he? I am going to assume he is neutered. Savannahs are a very social cat, and most do best with another high-energy cat as a buddy.
I apologize if the questions seem intrusive....we'd love to help you with your boy and make life easier for him and you :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree, this sounds like a very bored and lonely cat. You say he has every toy but not all cats enjoy toys that they play with themselves, I have many here that only play with wand toys, something I have to interact WITH them. Balls on the ground to be batted around work with a couple of my cats, but are ignored by others.

I think you may need to consider a companion for him...although if you are opposed to that, Pam has some great suggestions!

Ree

Savannah Super Cat
I agree with the others, he sounds like he needs a buddy. My F2 loves my dogs and other cats, he'd be lost, lonely and bored without them. Even with them he still tends to need plenty of momma time and follows me around everywhere, typical lovey savannah style. Good luck!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Did you steal my son's cat? I need to call him to see if Raiden is still around, because your description fits that cat perfectly.
The only thing that gave some relief, was to get a healthy active kitten. That cut the problems in half. Then the cat started maturing at 2 years old. Now maybe 25-30% of the original challenges.
Ummm, sorry but it seems that cat has really got you on a short leash.:confused: As in trained....

ambiente18

Site Supporter
I also have a male F5 and a lot of other cats female -F2 and F3, but he requires attention to himself all the same. He followed me and is present in all my life...I think this is wonderful...I love my cat for it:)

Sandi

Savannah Kitten
Hi Sandi, you have described a bored (and lonely) cat very well. Do you have any other cats or pets to keep him company? Have you tried leaving the TV on for him while you are at work; there are many good cat videos available. Does he have cat trees in addition to the walkway? Have you considered a cat wheel for him? Can he look out windows to see birds (with a birdfeeder in sight); an aquarium, a cat safe outdoor enclosure; taking him for walks on a well-fitting walking jacket, etc.

You have to look at this from your boy's point of view: you are gone half the day, and he is home alone, and wanting your attention when you return and has no concept of the idea that you are soon going to bed and will be leaving again in several hours. Do you have days that you don't work 12 hours?

Have you considered another companion for him? What generation is he? I am going to assume he is neutered. Savannahs are a very social cat, and most do best with another high-energy cat as a buddy.
I apologize if the questions seem intrusive....we'd love to help you with your boy and make life easier for him and you :)

Sandi

Savannah Kitten
Thank you for reply and concern. I am only at work week ends Sat-Sun, My husband is home with the cat all day, hes not alone.
Thanks again