Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

what to you think about these savannah presumptions that people told me ?

N

niels87

Hi everyone.

I'm not a savannah owner yet, but i finally decided i'm going to buy one.
I'm on a regular cat forum and when the people heard it, they go a bit crazy about the idea.
A savannah is a really terrible idea they think.

They give a big number of arguments, but i don't find much related problems on the internet.
There is 1 F6 cat owner on the forum and she has much problem with her savannah.

Few of the things they say about the savanna ;
What is you guys/girls reaction on it ?

"What are you getting into, an accident waiting to be happen. An animal like that doesn't belong in a house with cat proof garden. you put your other cats in big danger"

"You're cats are going to be eat with hair and skin, i would pick a bengal if i was you"

"I already feel pitty for your other cats"

"If you get a savannah, your other cats will end up in the pound"

"You can get really big problems with savannah and regular cats.
My brother has a bengal, since it was a kitten it already saw his 2yr old daugher as prey and bite her 2 times very badly. At 7 months he came home with a rabbit and at 8 months he brought home a little tomcat. Killed it himself.
It is possible that all will go fine but there is a reasonably chance that when it grows old it will play to ruff with the normal cats and will see it as prey and kill them. "

personally i believe very little of their danger to my cats.
But as a decend cat owner, i best make sure i here the sides of all people.

Important note : the discussion went up about a F2 savannah

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
This is typical paranoia of the uninformed.

A Serval doesn't see the human as "prey" so why would the DOMESTIC version of it want to eat your child? In the case of the person whose brother's Bengal has bitten his child, how many domestic cats bite too and we don't assume they are trying to eat the owner. It's ridiculous. My suspicion is that the brother was not supervising interactions between his toddler and his cat and had not taught correct play techniques. A child is likely to try to play directly with the cat and needs to be taught to use wand toys rather than hands for example.

As to Savannahs wishing to eat other cats... how ridiculous. When a human child wrestles with another, is it aiming to kill and eat that other child? No! So although Savannahs can be exuberant high energy cats that can indeed be too much cat for some domestic cats it is not a matter of killing the other cat but merely annoying the heck out of that cat because the Savannah wishes to play 24/7.

I do agree with the one tiny part of what is being said, you DO need to consider your other cats before making a decision to get a Savannah. Being a very high energy interactive cat they do tend to bug other cats continually for play. This means that an older more sedate cat could easily not enjoy being pestered all day and this can cause dissension in the household. It's worth considering, but not for any threat level.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
I have an F6 savannah, a Scottish Fold, and a Russian Blue. Tink is the youngest. She is almost 3 years old. All 3 cats get along. Tink tends to want all the food, so we put some canned food on a plate for her and the rest on another plate for the Russian Blue. Tink has never bit anyone. She has never brought me a dead animal. All 3 cats are indoor cats or are allowed on the screened patio. She only weighs about 9 pounds. She is fast, jumps high and likes to climb the screens on the patio. She is just like the other cats, but with more energy. Sue

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
As far as I know, there has not been one recorded case of Savannah gone wild in the history of the Savannah cat breed! And what's it been ? Like almost 30 years they've been around? They need to give up on they're distain for the breed! HONESTLY!

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
What about the pit bulls and their history of attacking people? Not saying the whole breed is bad. I know there are pit bulls that make unbelievable pets, but they aren't illegal or questionable breed.

D

Dantes

Few of the things they say about the savanna ;
What is you guys/girls reaction on it ?

"What are you getting into, an accident waiting to be happen. An animal like that doesn't belong in a house with cat proof garden. you put your other cats in big danger"

"You're cats are going to be eat with hair and skin, i would pick a bengal if i was you"

"I already feel pitty for your other cats"

"If you get a savannah, your other cats will end up in the pound"

"You can get really big problems with savannah and regular cats.
My brother has a bengal, since it was a kitten it already saw his 2yr old daugher as prey and bite her 2 times very badly. At 7 months he came home with a rabbit and at 8 months he brought home a little tomcat. Killed it himself.
It is possible that all will go fine but there is a reasonably chance that when it grows old it will play to ruff with the normal cats and will see it as prey and kill them. "

My first reaction to this is that most of these people are illiterate. My second reaction is that they have no idea how to have a pet cat in their household, someone should call animal services on them.

1. My F3 is fine in my enclosed garden. We occasionally take walks on a leash in public and along the beach. My Ragdoll (considered one of the most laid back of cats) does not fear him and appears to be in no danger.

2. "going to be eat with hair and skin" what does this mean? My Ragdoll has not been eaten by my F3 Savannah. I have never seen him have any urge to even try, except maybe through lots of grooming.

3. I feel pity for the person who knows what pitty is.

4. No, my other cats are not in the pound, thank you.

5. My Ragdoll has bitten people more often than my F3 Savannah, but then he has a problem with stress and he doesn't do it viciously, only when he's stressed. "Killed it himself"--does this mean the brother killed the rabbit, the tomcat, or the Bengal?

P1010523 (Medium).JPG P1010608 (Medium).JPG

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
One thing these high breed haters do not get, is that whether
these cats or dogs ,high breed or domestic, depending on how they are raised, depending if the were neglected or mistreated
Or even have an unaware illness, they all can and will react in a vicious manner. Other wise, the Savannah
breed is one of the best pet breeds I have seen yet.

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
I'm a first time savannah AND cat owner as of last week and let me tell you, both my cats F2 and F4 are so great. Honestly all they want is to be held, and even the stand offish one will give me head butts. I am so so happy I went with savannahs. :up:

Trish Allearz

As far as I know, there has not been one recorded case of Savannah gone wild in the history of the Savannah cat breed! And what's it been ? Like almost 30 years they've been around? They need to give up on they're distain for the breed! HONESTLY!

Kim- what's the case of 'Savannah gone wild' that you've heard? I bet that myth can be debunked right here.

Trish Allearz

Real quick- I had three oldies, but goodies when my Savannahs started coming home- starting with an F1.

One of my old girls was put to sleep last year due to oral cancer- she was 14 years old.

One of my old girls is sleeping right next to me on the couch- she is 13 years old.

My last oldie, but goodie, is a 13 year old one-eyed old man. He's getting crotchety with old age, but the Savannahs do not bother him.

My Savannahs live with kids, cats, and dogs. They are not- in my opinion- compatible with hamsters, rabbits, mice, or other prey animals, but that goes with any breed of cat- even an alley cat.