Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What's up with the Animal Rights issue?

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Apparently, there seems to be an issue about animal rights? Help me out here. What is the connection with Savannah cats. I would like some education on this.:confused:

Trish Allearz

I'm going to let Paige respond after she gets home from her weekend- I think she can give a fresh perspective on the issue at hand.

As far as 'what's up' with it from the basic beginning... Animal rights groups do not think mankind should own animals and they surely do not think we should own purebred animals and even worse- they do not feel we should enjoy hybrid animals (let's completely ignore the fact that all animals began as exotic pets at one point- but then go back to point one- AR's really do not feel we should own pets at all).

We have a rough road as Savannah owners because yes, AR groups will target us, they will try to get our breed banned, they will come after our beloved cats. They are very successful at the conquer and divide tactics that work- in other words, they know how to work the pet loving community to ensure we never stand together to fight an issue.

Anyways- look in our legal forum here and you will see a lot of the AR nonsense that we deal with on a day to day basis.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I will talk about this tomorrow when i get back...but this photo speaks volumes....

uploadfromtaptalk1362330045332.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Trish Allearz

I'm just so freaking mad. I'm seeing red right now. Cat shows are the one place where you go to relax, have fun with your friends, and enjoy the cats. I am sooo irritated that everyone is being screwed with this weekend out there.

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
Wow that is ridiculous...something like that at a cat show. I hope the show is still enjoyable!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
WTF! Walking in packing! Somebody is WAY out of control!:mad:
What's next , Westminster Kennel Club dog show?
(Where's the dislike button when you need it. Not you Paige. The picture.)

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
What state is the show in? If its back east, maybe they should have it in a more exotic animal friendly side of country. I mean most of the states where Savannah's are illegal are back east.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
The show is in RI. I just looked it up under the legal forum and hybrids are illegal in RI. My guess is that the picture is showing R I Animal control at the cat show. I sure hope that all of the Savannah's are not being targeted. Sue

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
No to sound ignorant, but what the heck would Savannah breeders be doing at a cat show, in a state, where they are illegal? Well, I hope they just brought brochures and information about the breed and not the cats. The cats could be confiscated and owners fined. Oooffff!!

Trish Allearz

WTF! Walking in packing! Somebody is WAY out of control!:mad:
What's next , Westminster Kennel Club dog show?
(Where's the dislike button when you need it. Not you Paige. The picture.)
AR has hit the dog shows repeatedly over the years.

This is Rhode Island and NO, the show as not enjoyable. I'm sure Paige will have a looong response once she gets home and settles down, but how can you enjoy a show when they are strutting down the aisles packing guns? What is wrong with states- they can't even afford the basic care of their own people, but they waste resources to ensure no wild kitty cats get out at a cat show. RIDICULOUS.