Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Which kitten???

Trish Allearz

Hehehehe...

Every spring, it seems like kitten buyers ask this- which kitten should they buy? Even when they have a solid grasp on the generations and perhaps even the color they want- they still don't know WHICH baby to choose.

My suggestion sounds so easy, but it isn't... Go with your heart. You will see kittens that you LOVE, but you will KNOW the kitten YOU love the minute you see his/her little face. Of course, your breeder will help with the personality- letting you know if he/she will mesh with your home :)

I can tell you- it was horrible making that first decision. I realized I was spending a decent amount of money for a kitty I REALLY wanted, but I waffled back and forth over which kitten I definitely wanted. It wasn't until I SAW my nonstandard F1, however, that I HAD to have him. I couldn't live without him. :D

M

MK Anderson

Second that! Before I seen Keeba, I seen tons of kittens the were awww, so cute and beautiful. But when I inquired about Keeba and open the one picture with my girls of Keeba on his back in Samanthas hands, we all at the same time said "Oh I want him, he's the one" gut feeling. Even my hubby later looked at the picture and said like a man "get him" lol! Keeba has been everything and more of what we wanted and expected! Love him...

Wanted to add this...After we decide on Keeba and told Samantha what we were looking for in a cat to fit our household we got the picture and ect. I called and talked with Sam one day and she was telling me about him and his antic she said, but every time I try to get him to sit in my lap he is just off to play with his sibling. one thing I really wanted was a lap cat. It never changed me mind something about him and my gut told me he was the one....As soon as Keeba came out of the cage he has been a lap cat, but never at Sam's place, lol...I often wonder if it was getting him in quarantine and only having us to bond to at the time. I just remember him being so upset after the flight and running and getting in my oldest daughters lap and sitting there purrringggg for a couple hours. I also think when cats get in your home most adapt to your life style.

attached a picture from today of Keeba and Pergie both on my lap!

Attachments

• IMG_20120115_095605.jpg
    IMG_20120115_095605.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it is safer for breeders to warn a kitten is not a lap cat than promise such behavior. Kittens are busy creatures and Savannahs are on the very high energy side of the kitty spectrum. They can indeed be cuddly and snuggly but when it is their choice. Grabbing a kitten and expecting it to curl up on your lap for a nap can be doomed to disaster...but they often choose to take their naps on your lap... different things. And better to have the kitten end up more cuddly than expected than have the buyer disappointed because the kitten wants to be off running all the time!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My suggestion sounds so easy, but it isn't... Go with your heart. You will see kittens that you LOVE, but you will KNOW the kitten YOU love the minute you see his/her little face. Of course, your breeder will help with the personality- letting you know if he/she will mesh with your home :)
:D

I completely agree, and that is what I tell pet buyers... the kitten that reaches out to you via pictures or gravitates to you on a home visit, that is the one to get. I did that with our very first SV and despite the fact that in terms of type he is not what we want, we've never regretted him. After all, he is the reason we then decided to breed Savannahs!

Now when choosing a breeder kitten you have to balance that emotional tug with sensible thoughts of the breed standard... that can be hard! But again, I do think you need to wait for the kitten that has type you really like but ALSO appeals to you on that other level.

M

MK Anderson

I think it is safer for breeders to warn a kitten is not a lap cat than promise such behavior. Kittens are busy creatures and Savannahs are on the very high energy side of the kitty spectrum. They can indeed be cuddly and snuggly but when it is their choice. Grabbing a kitten and expecting it to curl up on your lap for a nap can be doomed to disaster...but they often choose to take their naps on your lap... different things. And better to have the kitten end up more cuddly than expected than have the buyer disappointed because the kitten wants to be off running all the time!
I totally agree, Bridgette. I was not disappoint at all, she was very honest and I appreciate that. I will always go with my gut, he's a wonderful Savannah.

Trish Allearz

I definitely agree with this. I have noticed that kittens, in a litter, tend to be a lot crazier then once they get separated from their siblings and go on home. I think that's one of the hard things about going to visit a breeder's home and pick out a kitten- because everytime I've had that happen, the kittens are CRAZY. They want to play-play-play and aren't really interested in checking out the new human too much. LOL.

M

MK Anderson

I definitely agree with this. I have noticed that kittens, in a litter, tend to be a lot crazier then once they get separated from their siblings and go on home. I think that's one of the hard things about going to visit a breeder's home and pick out a kitten- because everytime I've had that happen, the kittens are CRAZY. They want to play-play-play and aren't really interested in checking out the new human too much. LOL.
I agree too! I hope I did not make it sound like she was promising me something, because she did not do that and if I made it sound like that I apologize. Sam absolutely told me what you explained. I guess I was trying to get across that gut feeling about him. Even if he wasn't a lap cat I would not care, I love Savannah and their energy they have, it's the best!

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
I agree! We looked at kittens for TWO years. lol Of course we'd see some that were TOTALLY cute, but either they weren't in our price range or they were already sold. Then the day that I saw Kovu's little face I KNEW he was going to be mine. His brother was a cutie too, but something about Kouv just pulled me in. I showed them both to Glenn that night & he felt the same way.

Attachments

• kovu1.png
    kovu1.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 37