Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Whipworms, Juvenile Roundworms, what is this?

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks... I do appreciate being able to talk about what is happening. I am thinking a blood panel (whatever that is) would be a good idea at this point even though the current vet has not suggested this. The previous vet I was seeing, who apparently did not manage to adequately de-worm my kitten, and tried to sell me a cat toothbrush claiming his slightly red gums around emerging teeth was gingivitis -when he was still teething - did suggest a full blood panel, but when pressed also said he didn't think it likely it would reveal anything that could be treated. As the Profender initially seemed to solve the problem I put that suggestion on the back burner. But at this point I just want to know what is going on inside him... And I agree part of the problem, maybe all of it at this point, could just be the effect of seriously inadequate nutrition the past month.

Last edited:

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
A bit of an update, though it now has nothing to do with parasites... or cat poop with cat hair in it... Rather than start a new thread about changing eye color I will just post this here...

The past week has been a bit of a nightmare of miscommunication with my vet. Phone calls trying to come up with a plan of action that needed someone knowledgeable on the other end when no one was available, being told to wait for a call back that only came today, and an answer to an important email that apparently disappeared in cyber space.

As I mentioned before, my cat was tested for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus in Sept, and both tests were negative but his symptoms do seem similar to what I read about dry FIP. Today I mentioned I was concerned about this to my vet, and he said my cat's blood panel done by my previous vet doesn’t have a high globulin levels, so he doubts FIP. Except my previous vet never did any blood panel. My kitten was tested for FeLV and FIV, which were negative. Nothing more. And my current vet did not think this would have been part of the FeLv and FIV tests. And when I said this test was never done, the current vet could not figure out where he got this information. So part of the information my vet thought they had, that they were using to decide what tests were appropriate, was incorrect.

Thanks to you folks I knew what a globulin test is...!

My cat has also been sneezing. This is getting worse and he now sometimes has a drippy runny nose. Both this and maybe some other problems seem to make it difficult for him to eat and he seems to chew in an strange exaggerated way with his head tilted up and to the side. Sometimes he makes a peculiar grinding noise too. And recently all he will eat is boiled chicken with mushy white rice, from my hand with a lot of encouragement. A short video of him eating a couple days ago. It seems like such a struggle for him..
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByDQ9QuQRArsblFzM3I2c1A5RGs

My last vet appointment I asked the vet about the sneezing, and he said my kitten probably has feline herpes and this is an outbreak brought on by the stress of the other unidentified illness. But reading about this, it sounds like maybe feline herpes in itself can cause many of these symptoms and without support can kill a cat?

And the past few days I have been noticing my cats eyes have been changing color. They used to be a light green, but now they are a darker olive green with copper tones and some peculiar little spots. So now my vet has seen the pictures of my cats eyes changing color he is thinking maybe the problem is a hepatic liver shunt... So now the focus has shifted from thinking maybe the problem is a partial intestinal obstruction, to starting with blood work looking for signs of a portosystemic shunt and other organ function. And also to see if there is any markers for FIP. If his GI tract and other organs are inflamed that in itself could lead to partial blockages.

I also notice my cat has golden markings on his fur that used to be just silver. Which seems sort of surprising. He used to be almost entirely black and silver with just a hint of beige. Now there is distinctive copper gold markings around his eyes.

Are coat color changes like this sometimes normal in a kitten, and if not any idea what would cause this?

A hepatic shunt may fit with why my kitten now refuses to eat anything other than rice boiled with chicken with emphasis on the rice, and why he was going a bit nuts wanting to eat unleavened yeast free whole wheat flour flat bread dough a few months ago. Supposedly a hepatic shunt can sometimes be managed by a low protein diet.

At this point I am feeling my kitten is probably not going to make it, but there is still hope it is something treatable and that he will recover. But he has been sick so long and is so wasted, in spite of several vet visits, I am beginning to prepare for the worst.

The pictures of lighter green eyes with the surrounding green line at the top of one of the group of pictures were taken before Sept. The pictures of more olive green copper colored eyes at the bottom surround by a yellow line and one big picture were taken the past 2 days. The brown tone is more apparent when the eyes are viewed at an angle. My vet asked if it s even the same cat.

And a couple happier pictures of my kitten enjoying the last bit of summer on the kitten proofed porch which is now once again enough to contain him.

Has anyone here had any experience with a cats eyes and fur changing color?

A lot of the discussions I have read here had information that helped me understand what my vet was saying, and helped me to respond intelligently. And I am glad we have decided to do a blood analysis first. Depending on what it shows other expensive and invasive uncomfortable tests may be unnecessary.

Any information anyone might be able to offer is appreciated!

Attachments

• ABA0A3AC-E23C-4F2E-8F9A-E2772CC88EFA.jpeg
    ABA0A3AC-E23C-4F2E-8F9A-E2772CC88EFA.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 14
  • 5619398A-773E-4BA0-8D36-5173D0FCBE57.jpeg
    5619398A-773E-4BA0-8D36-5173D0FCBE57.jpeg
    720.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 32DA60C0-FE25-431E-9DC3-018CB1CDA476.jpeg
    32DA60C0-FE25-431E-9DC3-018CB1CDA476.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 776356B2-C5B4-4F9B-A297-709365C1AA47.jpeg
    776356B2-C5B4-4F9B-A297-709365C1AA47.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 13

Rafiki

Site Supporter
My cat had copper-brown eyes until she was almost 3 years old and then they changed to more of a hazel color. Their eye color can change.

If you are having a blood panel done, check for liver function and copper toxicity. Many things can affect the liver, even something as small as not eating for a few days. When the liver becomes inflamed, it has a negative impact on appetite and this becomes a vicious cycle. Copper toxicity is one of the things that can attack the liver and I seem to recall some correlation to changing eye color.

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the suggestion Rafiki! I will ask about that when the bloodwork is done on Monday.

After reading more I am doubting Moggie has a hepatic shunt. The symptoms only partially match. He does not drool at all and I have never noticed any change in his behavior before and after eating except his incessant & increased attempts to bury his food. Often trying to feed him is like trying to feed a kid how keeps getting distracted and twirling around the room.

At this point I doubt he just has one problem, and my feeling is that whatever the root problem is, may have led to other problems that compounded this.

One thing I am wondering is if his inflammation in his GI tract could be aggravated by his change in diet. Cleaning up one of his outdoor bathroom areas I noticed his desiccated poops contained a lot of fine fur and fiber which he was getting from his hunting and eating whole prey. And I read that this is what usually acts as healthy fiber in a cats diet. And he has been doing stuff that seems to be telling me he would love to eat some birds. He gets me to go into the yard with him and watch birds, and he will turn from watching them to look at me longer and more intently then usual. And about 10 days ago when he had a brief spurt of playfulness and interest in Da bird, I repeatedly had to take it away from him because he was trying to est it. When he was hunting he lost all interest in this and would just roll his eyes. And he never wanted to eat it. So maybe he is trying to tell me he needs some fine feathers added to his diet? I have offered him raw prepared cat food chicken patties and after the first 1 a couple months ago, which he loved he won't eat them.

The vet I will get to see Monday is the one who is the second generation farmer vet who has taken care of their farm cats for decades and I will ask about this. The vet I have been seeing in their clinic is only recently local and may not have as much experience with this... If the farmer vet thinks my fine feathers diet makes sense, maybe they will have some fine chicken feathers I could try adding to his food.

Last night and today for the first time in a week Moggie ate some regular canned cat food and even ate a bit on his own from his bowl. Which is a hopeful sign. Maybe he heard me discussing a low protein diet to manage a hepatic shunt. I got him some and he smelled it and recoiled quickly about a foot with an expression like "OMG that smells HORRIBLE!!! " So maybe he has decided he had better show me he is willing to eat the regular cat food!!"

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I would definitely NOT give him feathers to eat. Feathers can cause issues like perforations and blockage. If you feel that he is not getting enough fiber, add psyllium powder (unflavored Metamucil) to his food.

Not eating for a couple of days will cause the body to consume fat. This fat consumption taxes the liver and causes fatty liver disease. Literally within a couple of days, particularly with kittens. Liver issues cause nausea and anorexia. It does not matter what caused the liver issue in the first place, the net result is always that the cat will snub food. That is why I would strongly advise to get a liver panel done asap and tell us what his AST value is. The vet can give you pills that help with his appetite. On the days that he is really difficult, try the Nutrical paste that is very high calorie. It is malt flavored ...... some cats love it but mine hate it.

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the warning about the feathers... But I am a bit confused as many here advocate feeding whole prey with at least the smaller feathers included. Like in the link below. But in Moggie's case I was thinking just the finer under feathers so his out of sorts tummy was not challenged.

http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/urgent-different-protein-or-not.6372/page-2

from the website that was recommended

http://quailandmice.com/images/packaged2.jpg

I really wish there was somewhere around here I could get something like this as I have a gut feeling Moggie would probably eat it, and it would help him right now. But as far as I know there isn't. I heard mice or maybe a rat upstairs last night but Moggie was too soundly asleep to notice. At this point I am feeling he may be too fragile to deal with anything they might be carrying. But it is really hard seeing him not eating and he has refused everything since the bit he ate this morning. I am wondering if I should try and force him again with cat food soup in a syringe. But I hate doing that. As I am in an out of the way rural area on an island and do not use a car it is difficult to access everything i could try that might help him.

I have been sort of hoping a bird will fly into the window and break it's neck but maybe I shouldn't be if the feathers might hurt him.

I will have the results of the blood tests early next week.

I appreciate your kindness trying to help me figure this out and for sharing my concerns.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
He cannot digest feathers so without lots of meat being consumed as well, I would be afraid that the downy feathers could form a clump and cause blockage. This is not a major issue with a cat that is eating large meals but I would not want to chance it with small meals. Also, fiber is needed to avoid constipation and I think that you would know if that was an issue.

I do not let my cats go more than 48 hours without eating at least 3 oz (about half) of meat per day. If this happens, I resort to some sort of force feeding whether it be feeding off my fingers or go the dramatic route with the nutri-goop that they despise. But again, I had the nightmare experience of dealing with liver fibrosis.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I am not too terribly concerned about the change in eye color, it seems in the pics with the lighter color the pupils are also smaller so perhaps the lighting has some play in this? Also regarding his coat color, that can change up until a year old. Is he a silver then? I'm afraid I can't remember, but silver cats can get what is called tarnishing or brown highlights to their hair, so this may be what your are seeing.

I agree with Linda that it is dangerous to feed feathers to a cat, a sure way to cause a bowel perforation... :eek:

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Linda, thanks for the explanation! Um... just to clarify, I was meaning mixing a very small amount of fine downy feathers into a portion of cat food, or finding a source of fresh whole prey. Not trying to feed my cat a cup of feathers with some Fortiflora !

I just read through Linda’s thread about what she went through with Rafiki not eating and I could really relate to both the worry when she would not eat and excitement when she did. I am glad you found a way to help her recover!

It's also really helpful to hear where you draw the line allowing a cat to starve itself. I don't think I have managed to get that much into Moggie every day, though I have most days... When he goes full on anorexic there is usually a few days where getting him to eat even an ounce a day is very difficult. And he doesn't really recover in between. And he is barely pooping. 2 weeks ago the vet didn’t think it was constipation. I don’t know what is going on, but he is a very very sick little cat.

I just tried putting some dry Orijen in the blender with water to try and give him some with a syringe. He has eaten less than an ounce today and he just can’t get any more run down (Witchy mentioned this and it is a great idea) I have done this before with wet cat food when I start feeling desperate. But this time Moggie totally freaked. Ripped what I had him wrapped in with his back claws and made that bizarre low pitched grinding noise I have heard when he eats. It was like I was trying to pour fire down his throat.

So I am leaving him be even though him not eating again at this point is a bit horrific.

Patti, thanks for your input on the fur and eye color changes. Moggie is a moggie so not really a silver, and he has always had a touch of beige, just it has gotten much more golden and widespread. But he used to be a very striking almost blueish silver with black spots and stripes. And he no longer has clear spots or stripes. He has just generally faded in every way, and gotten more gold tones. The vet saw those pictures of his eyes, and thought this might be a clue as to what is making him so sick. I think they were all taken in more or less the same light conditions. If anything it was brighter when I took the pictures trying to show the the copper tones I was seeing as I usually prefer to take pictures in the shade, but catching what I was seeing with my eyes, with the camera, required lots of light.

Last edited: