Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will my chemo affect my cat?

admin

Paige
Staff member
FYI, folks, I am a pharmacist. The point is there really is no information about an animal being affected by chemo agents that their owners were being administered. Other than handling the medication with gloves, I would not make any specific evidence based issues with household animals.
The issue of infection risks from the animals is worth considering as immune systems can be seriously compromised during chemotherapy.
Unfortunately, the incidence of chemo therapy, is not uncommon, and I would suspect issues of related to home animals becoming affected would have had some mention in the literature by now.
Per, if you happen to read this thread, are there literature reports of issues in the veterinary field?

Per is traveling, but I will ask him to weigh in...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

eloise67

Savannah Child
Hi Susan,
I underwent chemo for ovarian cancer with cats and dogs around me. My onco advised keeping them away from me for 48 hours after each session for their safety and inbetween times I bathed in pet safe disinfectants twice a day and washed my hands all day with it too and I had someone else do the litter boxes. All fur babies were fine and with their love and snuggles to help me through I'm still here 8 years later :). I never had any infections over 8 months of chemo.

Tough times but it goes quite quickly I'm sure everything will be OK

Hi Susan,
I underwent chemo for ovarian cancer with cats and dogs around me. My onco advised keeping them away from me for 48 hours after each session for their safety and inbetween times I bathed in pet safe disinfectants twice a day and washed my hands all day with it too and I had someone else do the litter boxes. All fur babies were fine and with their love and snuggles to help me through I'm still here 8 years later :). I never had any infections over 8 months of chemo.

So glad to hear you are doing well! Your experience with the chemo is encouraging to hear. Thank you.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi Susan,

Thanks for sharing... Glad you are doing well!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I spoke to an Oncology Nurse Practitioner a couple of days ago and asked her about this. She told me she had never heard of any issues with pets being exposed to humans receiving chemo, and if there were no doubt there would be something in the literature by now documenting it. I tend to believe her, based on my own experience and that of others as well.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Positive thoughts that you are able to overcome this and live a long, healthful life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk