Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

1 kitty vs multiple

Alisha H

Savannah Super Cat
What is everyone's take on having just one savannah? I have high energy dogs and hoping he'll get along with them, but some say I should have another kitty friend for him. Someday I'd love to have an F2 but that's not going to happen for a few more years. :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it depends on the household and what works. Some kitties are actually better as single kitties... I've had to rehome one of my girls, Katie, because she just didn't like to share her humans...she is VERY happy now owning her home and her human! I've also homed kittens into homes that only have a dog and the kitten tends to become best buddies with the dog and all is well.

So my advice is to see how your kitty does with just doggy friends, you'll be able to tell if he needs a companion...and face that then :)

BTW, my dog is an only dog...and many might say HE needs a doggy companion too. But he tends to see the humans and kitties here as "his pack" and all is well. He just runs and wrestles with them instead!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Just better to decide earlier than later. Give it a year, then see. When I had one, she endlessly played with the dog.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What is everyone's take on having just one savannah? I have high energy dogs and hoping he'll get along with them, but some say I should have another kitty friend for him. Someday I'd love to have an F2 but that's not going to happen for a few more years. :)
I think it will depend on the cat but if the Savannah accepts the dogs and vice versa they should be able to keep each other well entertained.

K

Kronos

I needed a multi pet house hold. Solo (my ragdoll) was very anxious. A year later when we got our dog, he was cured and very happy. Now with kitty #2, Kronos my SV, the three of them are just all so happy. They all run wrestle and play together.

Trish Allearz

Would he want another SV? or would he think we were crazy :roflmao:
ROFLMAO.

I've found guys are just as SV crazy! In fact, I have found a lot of men are more interested in obtaining a SV (specifically) then their wives! The wives are happy with a kitty- the MEN want a SAVANNAH. And this goes for lower gen kitties too- so it isn't so much the machoism of wanting a 'bigger' kitty.