Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

12 day old kitten weight?

vickielynn87

Savannah Super Cat
Hi everyone! I got an update from my kitten's breeder saying that our little Callie now weighs 8.4oz at 12 days old! She said that she's an ounce bigger than her other sisters. Is that the norm? I know that weight isn't an indicator of size but I was just curious. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Awww. I don't know weights of the little ones, but 1 oz bigger than her sisters.. That seems significant to me. But what do I know?
Gonna be a long couple of months Vickielynn. Be strong. :) Callie will make you melt when you get her.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are often size differences in litters when first born but it's usually no indication of what size they'll be in adulthood. I had one girl born 1.5oz heavier than her siblings and is now as an adult about 7lbs soaking wet!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The only important thing for me is that the kittens double their birth weight in the first week of life... no matter what their birth weight.

As Patti says, size at birth is no indicator of eventual size. Singletons will be larger at birth as there was no competition for resources but they aren't huger than other cats at adulthood. If a cat carries long then kittens will be larger than if born prematurely. Generally they catch up and equalize over time...