Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acepromazine

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Ace is rarely used in horses any longer, either. Nyah hates hers done, I leave them alone. When brave, I sneak up on her, but I play with her toes first. She doesn't do anything to me but it upsets her.

L

Louie'sDad

I'm single and don't have a helper, although helperS would be needed. The only time there's a minor problem is when he kneads me. OK when I have heavy dungarees on but not so much when I'm in my sweats.

Louie is active, and so far, does/has never scratched anything in my house. He's more of a chewer/biter......his favorite toy is a heavy knotted rope that got in the "dog toy" aisle of the pet store. He loves to toss it in the air and then pull/rip the loose strands out of it. I picture him doing this to a "kill" rodent in the wild........playing/dismembering/eating it in the process.

I'm glad that I can go without clipping his claws. It is stressful for him. He's such a happy cat, and I am loathe to stress him in any way. I thought that the ace would be the best bet to remove any anxiety from him, but won't need that either. I have a feeling that the display of emotion has more to do with the fact that he realizes that his weapons are being removed when his claws are trimmed. He plucks and chews at them after a trim and before long he has them sharpened up again, so it's a conscious act on his part to repair the "damage".

I read somewhere that the claws can curl around and become embedded in the pads of their toes. Doesn't sound probable but I suppose possible. If a cat doesn't scratch, and doesn't abrade them by walking on rough surfaces, then I have to assume that they trim them by chewing on them..........just the same way that I observe him plucking/sharpening them after a trim.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well, you know your cat and will do what is best for him...all I can say is by not having trimmed claws, if Louie ever gets really scared (can happen at any time) and his claws are not trimmed, you will get scratched. Or someone else may get scratched. But it may be better to just leave him alone...you will decide.

Cats shed their hind claw sheaths by biting and chewing them...I observe mine doing this all the time...

I start my kittens out at about Day 2 with claw trimming, since kitten claws are very sharp and then I keep it up...by the time they are older, they are used to it.

Mine do not scratch anything either, but I like to keep them trimmed anyway...and since you must trim your cats' claws when showing, I am just used to it.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I am grateful I can trim Kovu's claws as his breeder started him as a tiny, tiny baby. With Nyah's "specialness", it is hard on her, and me, so I understand. I really do have both ends of the spectrum with this! I should really start to work with Nyah on this...she has grown so much in all other areas, so maybe she will learn to be ok with this, too!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'd just like to say that it is not always dependent on being started young, although it is important to get them used to it as kittens.

I have had a kitten born here that was started early like every other kitten here, with weekly trims and ALWAYS fought like crazy. Her mother was the same, but I'd always attributed that to having one of her toes amputated at 48 hours of life (it was necrotic)...but having one of her kittens be exactly the same despite KNOWING we'd never had an adverse claw trimming episode and everything being done regularly from the start...I have to think some must have sensitive claw beds maybe?

There is much you can do to try to work with a cat that doesn't want its claws clipped...but I think there are individuals that will hate it anyway. Maybe like my feet are so super-sensitive that pedicures are really tough and I cannot tolerate a foot massage?

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
If I'm reading this right, claws don't have to be clipped unless there is a problem? Eddie chews his already & uses the scratch posts. If they need trimmed I'm letting the vet do it. I'd be too nervous about cutting them too short & yes I know "only the tip" but still...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Generally cats claws are easy to see where the quick is, unlike my beagle who is a challenge even for groomers and the vet...they are always hitting the quick and he's paranoid about having his cut now :-( With cats generally they are a good clear material and you can see the pink where you don't want to cut up near...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
As a suggestion, can you gently, slowly at first, then more frequently, massage around his toes. When he accepts that, try to extend his claws gently. Get him used to having his toe nails extended. This may be a long process, but it will help in the long run. I guess I am fortunate, my SV's not only do not mind ail clipping, but sometimes purr through the process.