Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Advice on Driving with a Savannah Cat

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi All,

So Zuri and I will be traveling in the near future in the car for about 7 hours - yikes!!!

I need advice on how to travel with her for such a long period of time. Should I get one of those gate thingies to put in my truck so she can have space to roam but have a litter box and water? Should I give her some valerian to relax her? She does not exactly like the car, so I am trying to figure out how to do this...

Thanks

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I use the Sturdicage, the Car-Go double which they don't seem to make anymore. It's just a little less in depth than the normal Sturdi and so fits better on the back seat of my car.... it has straps at the back you can put the seatbelts through which holds it nicely on the seat in case of sudden braking. I find that they usually whine a little then settle down and nap most the journey. When it is a drive of more than a couple hours I like them to have access to a litterbox...and you can put a waterbottle in the newer Sturdi models. If only using the single I put a hammock in and the litterbox underneath....

If Valerian works well with her, sedating her like that wouldn't be a bad thing...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I use the Sturdicage, the Car-Go double which they don't seem to make anymore. It's just a little less in depth than the normal Sturdi and so fits better on the back seat of my car.... it has straps at the back you can put the seatbelts through which holds it nicely on the seat in case of sudden braking. I find that they usually whine a little then settle down and nap most the journey. When it is a drive of more than a couple hours I like them to have access to a litterbox...and you can put a waterbottle in the newer Sturdi models. If only using the single I put a hammock in and the litterbox underneath....

If Valerian works well with her, sedating her like that wouldn't be a bad thing...

Thanks B...I haven't tried Valerian but will give it a try before we go anywhere. I do have a sturdy show shelter and I have a soft enclosure as well I could use...she was such a beast the other day on an hour drive, I have a feeling this is going to be an adventure I probably will not forget...

I do have the hammock, etc. for the sturdi, so maybe that is the way to go...if I put it in the back, I can leave it open and put a litterbox in there as well...neither of my savannahs like the car much :( And maybe getting a water bottle to put through the sturdi will work best...

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
What does "not exactly like the car" mean? If that means that she crumps in her carrier or throws up, then just a carrier would be fine with a stop over time where she can roam about and do her duties while you are stopped or you can use your show cage for her. I am bad and I let some of my cats roam about the car while driving but only if they are a comfortable passenger and don't do laps around the car or try to crawl under the driver's seat. For those naughty passengers- they just stay in the carrier. 7 hours isn't that long if they are provided with a break. I am sure you will need one as well. I used to be a kamikaze driver going 7 hours at a time but kids have changed all that.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, definitely try out the Valerian before the trip... make sure it works and there's no funky side effects. I don't think I've tried it successfully with one of mine. I tried it once at a show with a very stressed kitty and it seemed to have no effect. And I've tried Rescue Remedy and had it make a cat totally hyper... so good luck and I hope the Valerian works as it should and helps Zuri relax and enjoy the ride :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
What does "not exactly like the car" mean? If that means that she crumps in her carrier or throws up, then just a carrier would be fine with a stop over time where she can roam about and do her duties while you are stopped or you can use your show cage for her. I am bad and I let some of my cats roam about the car while driving but only if they are a comfortable passenger and don't do laps around the car or try to crawl under the driver's seat. For those naughty passengers- they just stay in the carrier. 7 hours isn't that long if they are provided with a break. I am sure you will need one as well. I used to be a kamikaze driver going 7 hours at a time but kids have changed all that.

Thanks Kelly...it means she howsl the entire time and drives me crazy trying to get out of whatever carrier she is in...and she always gets out one way or another.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, definitely try out the Valerian before the trip... make sure it works and there's no funky side effects. I don't think I've tried it successfully with one of mine. I tried it once at a show with a very stressed kitty and it seemed to have no effect. And I've tried Rescue Remedy and had it make a cat totally hyper... so good luck and I hope the Valerian works as it should and helps Zuri relax and enjoy the ride :)

Thanks B. Rescue Remedy doesn't work for me either...I doubt valerian will work, but I'll give it a try. Prescription meds make her hyper...I must be crazy driving for 7 hours...but maybe she will be ok and I am stressing for no reason.