Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bayshore Veterinary Hospital and Dr. Moniello, in Holmdel, NJ

Should this vet be fired?

• Total voters

admin

Paige
Staff member
I read a slightly different version of this incident on FB. In that account the owner was losing their home and that was why she turned the cats over to the vet. I just don't understand why she did not contact the breeders to take the cats instead of the vet.

My first Himy did substantial damage to one vet but at least he acknowledged that I had warned him about her not behaving if I wasn't there with her. I cannot imagine how he would have reacted had it been a SV if he was misinformed as that vet obviously was.
That owner knew for at least a year that that she was losing her home. The breeder offered to help and house her family. She turned those cats over to a vet she had never met.

She also had offers of help from the Savannah community and choose the route she did...this is on her...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, the owner is at fault for not choosing the better options for her pets, but the vet failed significantly also by euthanizing for such a reason...the poor cats were failed by all sides :-(

Rafiki

Site Supporter
That owner knew for at least a year that that she was losing her home. The breeder offered to help and house her family. She turned those cats over to a vet she had never met.

She also had offers of help from the Savannah community and choose the route she did...this is on her...
Wow. That definitely puts a different light on the situation. Why on earth would she not turn the cats over to the breeder? Wouldn't that have been so much simpler and with a positive result for all? People are freaking idiots.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It doesn't change my opinion of what this vet did. To me it is a separate issue.

It is heartbreaking for us in Rescue to know that a cat might have been saved, when people KNOW of that option and ignore it for whatever reason. Possibly because we do ask questions, it helps us rehome a cat to know where it is from and what issues it might have. So many it's not as simple an option as dropping off somewhere like the vet office? And then maybe returning to the breeder requires a conversation where the owner admits failure, and they don't like to do that so avoid that option too...

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
People ARE just idiots, Linda. I see it every day. It is too bad too, because there are some wonderful things in life if people just had common sense, which is not too common any longer.

Carykd7kau

And yes, Brigitte, the vet was less than human too. But let's keep our energy and apply it to loving our babies and all of our brother and sister SV slaves. ( And other kitties' slaves too. ) This whole thing just sickens me. But since there is nothing we can now do, I choose to forget it. WITH PREJUDICE!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
And yes, Brigitte, the vet was less than human too. But let's keep our energy and apply it to loving our babies and all of our brother and sister SV slaves. ( And other kitties' slaves too. ) This whole thing just sickens me. But since there is nothing we can now do, I choose to forget it. WITH PREJUDICE!

Cary, I respectfully disagree. This was an occurrence we should NEVER, ever forget. When we forget about injustices such as this, we forget about the reasons our cats are being sought to be banned in certain areas or forbidden to be owned.

Not only was the life taken of a domestic pet cat...raised with young children and most likely acting out in fear, confusion and stress towards an unknown and strange vet who was performing experimental sedation on him...any pet would do this given the circumstances....Lucien's life was taken without just cause, and his bonded, home and kid-raised kitty buddy sent to live out the rest his life in a cage at a a large-cat sanctuary that is notorious for portraying Savannah and Bengals cats as unsuitable for pet ownership....I for one will not forget Lucian and the way he was treated by one of the very people we should trust to care for our pets.

I believe and hope there is a special place in hell for Lucien's former owner and the "vet" that killed him. I also hope and pray Lucien's buddy will not be used for fund-raising and anti-Savannah/Bengal ownership propaganda behind bars in his new sanctuary cage, but reality and cynicism tells me he will....:(

Carykd7kau

Oh Pam I so agree with what you say, BUT what has happened has happened. We cannot UNDO it. I will not forget what has happened to Lucian. And I will send his Spirit love and comfort. BUT as I tried to say, I choose to place the energy towards the babies we CAN keep alive. And PREVENT anything similar form happening again. Maybe make an example of the cruel murderers that performed this unspeakable act.. That would be both the vet and the owner.