Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Blood in stool

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
I feed instict grain free kibble and a can of wellness in the morning. I half cooked a chicken thigh tonight and chopped up the neat. Loki ate about half of it with no issues. I'll mix the other half into his canned food tomorrow morning as he is normally voracious in the morning.

I guess my biggest concern is the bacteria. We are raised all of our lives to never serve raw chicken so it is difficult for me to make the switch with him. Do you guys just get normal chicken and feed that? I always buy organic free range, but that doesn't mean it is bacteria free.

I'm assuming cats just have a much stronger belly than us?

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Yes
I feed instict grain free kibble and a can of wellness in the morning. I half cooked a chicken thigh tonight and chopped up the neat. Loki ate about half of it with no issues. I'll mix the other half into his canned food tomorrow morning as he is normally voracious in the morning.

I guess my biggest concern is the bacteria. We are raised all of our lives to never serve raw chicken so it is difficult for me to make the switch with him. Do you guys just get normal chicken and feed that? I always buy organic free range, but that doesn't mean it is bacteria free.

Yes, much stronger! Think about a leopard in the wild, that will kill a zebra, pull it into a tree, and snack on it for a days.

And, yes, yes, yes free range/organic. Watch out for pork, much available store pork is treated with a preservative solution (we humans really shouldn't be ingesting it, either). The good stuff is not.

I make a mix with a meat grinder using various protein sources, and organ and bone. Some folks use slab meat and supplements, and some buy pre-made. There are at least two good threads around if you search 'raw diet', and some good starter recipes!

Maybe check the ingredients on the Instinct kibble, I'm sure it is indeed grain-free, but still packed full of useless carbs. It'll be things like sweet potatoes, green peas, chick peas, tapioca starch, etc. These things aren't harmful, per se, but a cat body doesn't use them so it just passes through making stinky big stool.

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Oh my goodness!! Loki has the stinky-est poo in the morning. This explains it! He clears the house each morning, it is awful. Did you happen to have the recipe that you use?

Also, would this be ok for my ragdoll to eat as well?

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Oh my goodness!! Did you happen to have the recipe that you use?

Also, would this be ok for my ragdoll to eat as well?

Yes, totally okay for your ragdoll. I got the recipie from this site, but cannot find the thread, argh! If you google search 'raw recipie for cats' you will find some good articles. I'll keep searching for that thread, lol.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Actually what they have is a much shorter digestive tract, so the food passes through before any bacteria has time to grow and proliferate.