Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Breeder describes kitten as "timid" - likely a permanent personality trait?

LML

Savannah Child
This may be a silly question. I know it means it will take patience to gain the kitten's trust, but does it mean that there is probably no chance that the cat will be good with strangers in the future? Or is there some chance that given enough attention, love and cuddles, the kitten can be brought out of its shell and become more socialized in general? Kitten is 4-5 months, by the way.

Thanks!

admin

Paige
Staff member
This may be a silly question. I know it means it will take patience to gain the kitten's trust, but does it mean that there is probably no chance that the cat will be good with strangers in the future? Or is there some chance that given enough attention, love and cuddles, the kitten can be brought out of its shell and become more socialized in general? Kitten is 4-5 months, by the way.

Thanks!

it could be permanent and most likely is not...the kitten just probably needs to be worked with and slowly introduced to the household...there is a great chance that with lots of TLC, the kitten will come around.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hard to know without actually meeting the kitten. Is it timid even with familiar people in the home, or just with strangers? I think that almost every kitten can be won over eventually by someone, but many will never be social butterflies.

Glamouresque

Savannah Super Cat
I don't know if it can help, I had a timid girl, she was afraid of humans, specially the hands, but she loved the other cats. I could play with her for long times (since beginning), and she came out of her shell after some time (2 months). She was 4,5 months when she arrived and now she is very cuddly, loves to sleep with me and is not afraid of hands anymore.
She is still shy with strangers, but her curiosity and instinct to play bring her out very easily. She is very quiet cat, not super demanding, but is the first one to play with me. She comes when I call her, purrs lightly when SHE decides she wants to be pet (she is my Diva :rolleyes: ).

Maybe her case was very mild, but I never had a shy cat and I was afraid of the bound between us. I was happy and surprised she came around pretty quick, it is very stressless at my home, I think it helps. I have no boyfriend to fight with ;) , it's very positive environment with an active and respectfull young child.

There is hope I think, and maybe sooner than you might think, it's still a baby. But, I think it will probably won't be the more interactive cat of the pack, might never stay on your laps.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
It REALLY depends. You can always ask to take a video and see what she means by "timid". I have had kittens that I think are timid but once they transition out of the "pack" then they really blossom. I have heard others call a kitten "timid" and the kitten is out and out unsocialized and it was a bad breeders way of making a sale.
This is hard because everyone's definition of timid is different!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Oh and PS, I had a kitten that would hide behind our kitchen sick when anyone came over. This girl was really funny and smart, just a kick in the pants. She KNEW it was the one place in the whole house I could not reach her. Consequently, I had her forever because noone could see visit her. She did eventually find a good home. She was not timid to me but only to strangers.

LML

Savannah Child
Thanks everyone for the responses! Yes, I guess that's why I was unsure- so many ways to interpret timid. I am eyeing a beautiful SV and am secretly hoping that I have the power to make him blossom... but I'm nervous that I'm being overly optimistic.. also really unsure if the fact that I have a quiet household and no other pets would be good or bad for that situation.
I like the video idea, Kelly- I may ask for that! Thanks again guys!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, at least you can see what he does. If the breeder can't even coax him out to play- you may have a problem. Even the shy ones will play! I would ask the breeder to describe what he does that is coined as "timid."

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Before you choose to bring this boy into your home you need to first decide that you are willing and ready for a lifelong commitment to him - no matter what... determine that you will accept him for whoever and whatever he is, and have no expectations. Love and patience are your techniques to win him over, but whatever happens it will need to be on his terms, not yours, otherwise you will simply push him further away.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Before you choose to bring this boy into your home you need to first decide that you are willing and ready for a lifelong commitment to him - no matter what... determine that you will accept him for whoever and whatever he is, and have no expectations. Love and patience are your techniques to win him over, but whatever happens it will need to be on his terms, not yours, otherwise you will simply push him further away.

Great post, Patti - thank you!

LML - if you would not want a shy or timid kitten/cat, despite all your best efforts, then please do not purchase this kitten...it would not be fair at all to the kitten...