Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Breeding

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
Patti, what i meant ... by not yet ... is she shows a tendency to go into heat (extremely cuddly - showing belly wants to be pet at the belly and so on what is normally not allowed) ... but she is not yet crouching down - for that said - when Nabila is in heat - she calls very loud - you can't miss that by hearing :) i know my 3 girls very exactly ... for the normal routine Hetty starts into heat - then Lina and Nabila are following ... right now Hetty is in heat again ... (after 2 weeks / a bit early i think but as it is ... ) and i will see if Nabila will follow :)

But thanks for the help to identify ... i'm hoping she will begin in the next couple of days ...

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
Update - i was enthusiastic and hopefull that Nabila can go to mate the Serval - likewise the owner told me today that they can't meet before March 2019 - we have had an appointment for today - cancelled ... Nabila is in heat since yesterday - and all wishes and dreams vanished for this year - i'm totally crushed :( nothing works this year - any planned plans aren't possible ... delay after delay ...

BUMMER !!!

Update - i was enthusiastic and hopefull that Nabila can go to mate the Serval - likewise the owner told me today that they can't meet before March 2019 - we have had an appointment for today - cancelled ... Nabila is in heat since yesterday - and all wishes and dreams vanished for this year - i'm totally crushed :( nothing works this year - any planned plans aren't possible ... delay after delay ...

BUMMER !!!
Jeez, that's almost a year away! Sorry for your frustration, that is a bummer. :(

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What reason was given for the delay? BTW, it is usually (or at least it used to be) recommended that a female be bred the first time traditionally, meaning with a Savannah stud, so that she has the birthing and rearing experience before being hit with an F1 litter. If you can't breed her to the serval this year, you might consider breeding her to a Savannah.

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
What reason was given for the delay? BTW, it is usually (or at least it used to be) recommended that a female be bred the first time traditionally, meaning with a Savannah stud, so that she has the birthing and rearing experience before being hit with an F1 litter. If you can't breed her to the serval this year, you might consider breeding her to a Savannah.
So really - i don't know why. At last sunday we prepared well everything to bring Nabila in to Simba's home - it was everything clear and the appointment was on green light. On monday morning i only got an short message on my cell not to bring Nabila and not before March 2019 :( a real reason why wasn't mentioned (i expected to be informed by the arrangment of the appointment via phone to be fair to say - if there is a problem of time or something works not out that we need to check for another opportunity later or something - but go on sunday and 9h later after - no go via sms is not really funny)

I remember that the owner mentioned that the Serval only mate in a short range of weeks (mainly march/april) in the early year (as he said) so maybe that's why he jumped off for the try. But i can only guess. Maybe there is again some personal issue - it could be everything. Normally he is an nice person ... so that is what is puzzling me ...
---
Patti - the thing is, Nabila had a successful F1litter before in eraly 2016 from a Serval by the pre-owner (accidedtially - wasn't planned that early - but happend) so she is experienced as mum, it would be the not her first one ...
also she grew up with 2 Servals for over 18 month so knowing about Serval behavior etc.

Nabila came to me in November 2016 after care taking of her kittens, to my ownership - the pre-owner got into trouble with the law and needed to give up some cats and one of 2 Servals (sad story but happens).
German law for the minimum sqaremeter of outdoor habitat and warm room one cat or pair needs and so on took her into problems (Serval/Savannah F1/2 is equal) - this is quite tricky over here ...

I was happy to give Nabila a new forever home - and really i think she is quite really happy cause she found me as her one and only human and bonded with me within an extremely short time (it seemed she bonded never before).

I'm not yet interested to produce litters for sale, so an F2 litter or later gen. is not on focus for me in the next couple of years. Also i don't want to overbreed my girl just for having kittens produced that i have to give away. So i'll bite in the bitter apple and have to wait. If Nabila would have kittens this year - then she needs to pause and March 2019 would not be possible ... i really don't want the girl overbreed ... it is for her own good - i don't want to stress her.

---
I hope this was not too much text - also more or less understandable - maybe my english sufferd from beeing upset and been ... pi**ed-off by the bad news (so sorry in advance if there are jumping thoughts in the text).
I had so much planned a timeline around the litter and the following future and to do's with my girfriend and my mum for the next upcoming 3 years - and now - ruined, all back to beginning - cards have to be mixed new !!??!!

I really don't now ... but life goes on ... we'll see ...

Last edited:

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
Jeez, that's almost a year away! Sorry for your frustration, that is a bummer. :(
Yeah Rebecca, not only that - who knows if then in March 2019 there occour the same unreliability by the owner - and i'm having the same frustration next year again ?
I was trying 3 heat periods 2018 March April and now to contact Simba's owner - anytime i was optimistic 1 time he was not reachable - the other 2 times the appointment dropped by unknown issue and now the drop yesterday ... So i tried what was possible ... it was not Simba's fault nor Nabila's nor mine ... i really don't know what's going on there ... there were no real acceptable reasons i know and could understand.

By the talkings between the owner an me - he told me nothing problematic - that the 8 year old Simba is quite a real calm one - had expierience with domestics (also non Savannah) - successful mating - never there had been an issue of cats getting hurt and have to be 24/7 monitored - he also never claimed that he finds us (me and my girlfriend) unsympathic by meeting eachother - also he have seen Nabila before - Simba and her had a one day introduction without any incidents and signs of growling / bad hisses ... also Nabila was careful but not shy and curious - they sniffed eachother - so nothing what let some lamps colors to red . The owner said also ... when he is not at home they stay seperated and when he is home they can come together - there is enough space - outdoor enclosure and a separation room for Simba - and the upper floor flat is totally available for the cats - so nothing worse.

-The only thing i can maybe assume that the owner have familiy issues getting worse - as we visited him i remember the introduction of his mum living par terre and have to look after the dad of care. Maybe this is the main issue ... but i just assume - but why is the owner not that straight to tell me the truth - let me get enthusiatic by complaining yes let's do the try for mate between Nabila and Simba and then jumps off to no don't bring the cat just hours before ???

-The second thing he claimed is that the Serval only mates in March and the beginning of April - what is possible but not prooven to me yet. Simba never had an F1 Savannah girl around yet - only smaller F4 Savannah / Bengals and "domestic's" he told me ... many tries in the beginning failed he claimed (assumption from me: not tall enough or to quiet/shy)
Nabila is more different than later generation or "domestic" - when she is in heat she is extremely dominant - marks her smell around - yelling / calling very loud / animates male cats (poor Garfield he gets afraid anytime)... so also the sounding is not even comparable. Maybe the Simba was not attracted by all visitor cats - and maybe all sucesses were only in March April / so the owner assumes that the Serval is only mateable in those 4-6 weeks ? I've heard nothing pro or contra to this claim. So i must trust this information by now - but i have no proof of a try - so i can only say maybe, maybe not.

I'm the last person that can't understand an family issue of care - i've had the same issue 2 years ago with my mum ...
so why not telling the real circumstances ? saying yes saying no and then again more than one time ? Untrustful and unreliable felling about the owner kicks in :( working out to a real frustration ...

He have nothing real to do - just have to holiday home 1 more cat (Simba and 3 dsh he owns). Just checking if she is ok ... have her food and water, feels more or less comfortable (in heat is this had to tell) and cares for the seperation when he's off but nothing more - the main work is mine after around 70 day's when the kittens show up - they will sum up my house and need all my attention for quite a while till they are grown up out of kittenage ... but the owner of Simba has nothing to do with that ...

I've the brain full of questionmarks - and no real point of reason about the happenings :(
~bummer~